Npgsql does not work with add-ins

10-03-2022 03:33 AM
Vidar
by
Occasional Contributor II

I have added to my add-in a nuget package for Npgsql.

I am working with Pro 2.6.2

The latest verison i.e. 

NuGet\Install-Package Npgsql -Version 6.0.7

when I get to the code that starts to try  to connect to my DB, I get thrown the error: Exception thrown: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in Npgsql.dll.

Can you please look into this.

It may have something to do with this error - that it can't find the correct version assembly for System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe, I believe the one installed by default is version 6: 

System.AggregateException
  HResult=0x80131500
  Message=A Task's exception(s) were not observed either by Waiting on the Task or accessing its Exception property. As a result, the unobserved exception was rethrown by the finalizer thread.
  Source=mscorlib
  StackTrace:
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskExceptionHolder.Finalize()

Inner Exception 1:
FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe, Version=4.0.4.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

As an update to this - it just looks like it doesn't work with ESRI add-in projects. I tried many different versions of Npgsql and all failed. Here are the results for the various versions:

• Version Npgsql 2.0.11 - "The authentication or decryption has failed."
  • Version Npgsql 3.2.7 - "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Threading.Tasks.Extensions, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
  • Version Npgsql 4.1.9 - "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe, Version=4.0.4.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
  • Version Npgsql 4.1.8 - "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe, Version=4.0.4.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
  • Version Npgsql 5.0 - "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Threading.Channels, Version=4.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
  • Version Npgsql 5.0.5 - "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Threading.Channels, Version=4.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
  • Version Npgsql 5.0.2 - "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Threading.Channels, Version=4.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
  • Version Npgsql 6.06 - "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe, Version=4.0.4.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
  • Version Npgsql 6.03 - "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe, Version=4.0.4.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Vidar
by

I really need help on this please. Anyone from ESRI?

0 Kudos
GKmieliauskas
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

I think you need earlier version of Npqsql  (5.0.15 or earlier) because your version needs .Net 6.0 or higher.

If I remember ArcGIS Pro 2.6 uses .NET Framework 4.8

Or you need to migrate to ArcGIS Pro 3.0 which uses  .Net 6.0

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/sdk/api-reference/topic1.html 

0 Kudos
Vidar
by

I'm kind of locked into the version I'm using because of end clients - but I tried the version you suggested - 5.0.15, and it failed in a similar way.

This is proving so exasperating. I can't even get the ODBC drivers to work either as  work around the Npgsql library.

0 Kudos
GKmieliauskas
Esri Regular Contributor

Try to check Npqsql (5.0.15) reference properties. "Copy Local" property must be set to "True".

0 Kudos
Vidar
by

"Copy Local" is the default when you install. But thanks.

0 Kudos
GKmieliauskas
Esri Regular Contributor

If you just reinstalled Npqsql from 6.0.7 to 5.0.15, then you need to cleanup packages.config.

After reinstall you would get something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<packages>
  <package id="Microsoft.Bcl.AsyncInterfaces" version="6.0.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="Microsoft.Bcl.HashCode" version="1.1.1" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="Npgsql" version="5.0.15" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Buffers" version="4.5.1" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Collections.Immutable" version="6.0.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticSource" version="6.0.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Memory" version="4.5.4" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Numerics.Vectors" version="4.5.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe" version="6.0.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Text.Encodings.Web" version="6.0.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Text.Json" version="6.0.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Threading.Channels" version="6.0.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Threading.Tasks.Extensions" version="4.5.4" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.ValueTuple" version="4.5.0" targetFramework="net48" />
</packages>

If you cleanup packages.config and install Npqsql 5.0.15 from scratch you would get:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<packages>
  <package id="Microsoft.Bcl.AsyncInterfaces" version="1.0.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="Npgsql" version="5.0.15" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Buffers" version="4.5.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Memory" version="4.5.3" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Numerics.Vectors" version="4.5.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Unsafe" version="4.6.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Text.Encodings.Web" version="4.6.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Text.Json" version="4.6.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Threading.Channels" version="4.7.0" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.Threading.Tasks.Extensions" version="4.5.2" targetFramework="net48" />
  <package id="System.ValueTuple" version="4.5.0" targetFramework="net48" />
</packages>

After reinstall your packages.config  keeps libraries which are incompatible with .Net 4.8.

0 Kudos
Vidar
by

Packages seem to right. I cleaned the cache - but no difference.

0 Kudos
Vidar
by

Update 

I have tried version 2.9 of Pro and still the same issues.

I then tried version 3.0.2 - and it works fine.  Not massively useful to me but at least its something.

0 Kudos
Vidar
by

@Wolf @CharlesMacleod do you have any ideas guys why the postgres api does not work in version 2.x of Pro addins?

0 Kudos