Is an ArcGIS Pro Standard/Advanced license required to _develop_ "advanced" features with the SDK?

Jump to solution
05-17-2022 07:17 AM
coryeicher
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Question about the very first FAQ answer here...

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/FAQ

... Is a higher level ArcGIS Pro license (e.g. Standard or Advanced) required to _develop_ a custom feature with the SDK which relies on ArcGIS Pro functionality licensed at those higher levels? For example, can I develop a custom feature which will need a Pro "Advanced" license even if I - as a developer - don't have access to the "Advanced" Pro license during my development?

Thanks,

-Cory

CORY EICHER
www.eichcorp.com
cory@eichcorp.com
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Emiliano_Petrelli
New Contributor

Hi Cory,

I think you can, of course, write code using SDK Pro with any license level and use any class/method/function provided by SDK but when you starting to debug your code you need the right ArcGIS Pro license, as mentioned on the wiki page you linked:
"

Is a development license required to build add-ins with the ArcGIS Pro SDK?

No development license is required for the Pro SDK itself, although a licensed installation of ArcGIS Pro is required for development and use of add-ins. The SDK can be used with any ArcGIS Desktop license level (Basic, Standard and Advanced) which Pro will use. Developers are able to create add-ins with functionality for a Desktop license level, and users of the add-in will need to have the appropriate level of license."

So, in my experience, as a developer you have to buy an appropriate ESRI developer subscription:
Building ArcGIS solutions | ArcGIS Developer

Hope this helps!

Emiliano

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Emiliano_Petrelli
New Contributor

Hi Cory,

I think you can, of course, write code using SDK Pro with any license level and use any class/method/function provided by SDK but when you starting to debug your code you need the right ArcGIS Pro license, as mentioned on the wiki page you linked:
"

Is a development license required to build add-ins with the ArcGIS Pro SDK?

No development license is required for the Pro SDK itself, although a licensed installation of ArcGIS Pro is required for development and use of add-ins. The SDK can be used with any ArcGIS Desktop license level (Basic, Standard and Advanced) which Pro will use. Developers are able to create add-ins with functionality for a Desktop license level, and users of the add-in will need to have the appropriate level of license."

So, in my experience, as a developer you have to buy an appropriate ESRI developer subscription:
Building ArcGIS solutions | ArcGIS Developer

Hope this helps!

Emiliano

0 Kudos
coryeicher
Occasional Contributor

Hi Emiliano,

Thank you. It is helpful to know that running, even in debug, requires the proper license level for the Pro functionality being used.

The last part of the puzzle for me to solve is this empty square. I think the square is empty because of "ArcObjects": The "Builder" subscription excludes ArcMap, so therefore excludes ArcObjects.

From everything written, I should be able to do ArcGIS Pro SDK development with a "Builder" subscription. I can confirm this myself.

coryeicher_0-1652877156321.png

Thank you again,

-Cory

CORY EICHER
www.eichcorp.com
cory@eichcorp.com
0 Kudos
coryeicher
Occasional Contributor

On my end, I was able to confirm that one can build and run an ArcGIS Pro SDK using a "Builder" license. 

CORY EICHER
www.eichcorp.com
cory@eichcorp.com
0 Kudos