Developing New Metadata Style in an Existing Add-In Project

Jump to solution
03-20-2023 02:12 PM
TheBobScript
New Contributor III

I have an existing add-in project that works great:  toolbars, buttons, interaction with the catalog pane, etc.  I have a new requirement to add a metadata style (under ArcGIS Pro --> Options --> Metadata).  This is done using the ArcGIS Pro Metadata Toolkit Visual Studio extension - no problem. 

My question:  is it possible to roll my new metadata style into my existing add-in project or is there no way to avoid having a separate add-in for my new metadata style?

Postscript:  after downloading and installing the VS extension I looked at the Config.daml and reviewed the documentation.  There appear to be enough differences in the config sections/parameters and project structure that I would think trying to merge a metadata toolkit project into an existing add-in project would be difficult or just impossible.  I'd love to hear from anyone else that has had a difference experience or take.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

you could certainly do it but,  with what little I know of the metadata editor sdk, i think it would go against the intent of the toolkit tho...which is to kind of consolidate all the metadata property pages and so forth for a new profile in a separate addin. At the end of the day, though, it is just an addin.

I took a quick look at the Config.daml file on the metadata github repo and it all looks pretty much dedicated to updating the various metadata categories with the custom metadata property pages, etc. The easiest thing may be to move your other addin content _in to_ your metadata toolkit addin (rather than the other way around). I'd suggest running some of the Pro SDK item templates to add a button, tool, dockpane, and so forth to see where the DAML entries those templates generate go (in the Config.daml). That will show u where u need to stick your addin content if u do bring other content over (from another addin).

Currently, the  `<insertModule ...` tag of the toolkit config looks empty so new controls, etc. arent going to conflict with anything that I can see. U might need to add `<tabs></tabs>`,  `<groups></groups>` and  `<controls></controls>` sections into the insertModule tag by hand if the templates dont generate those auto-magically.... like so (see below).....but just run, say, the button template first  and see if it does it for u. 

<insertModule id="Acme_MD_Toolkit_Module" className="MetadataToolkitModule" autoLoad="false" caption="Metadata Toolkit Module">
  <tabs></tabs>
  <groups></groups>
  <controls></controls>
</insertModule>

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

you could certainly do it but,  with what little I know of the metadata editor sdk, i think it would go against the intent of the toolkit tho...which is to kind of consolidate all the metadata property pages and so forth for a new profile in a separate addin. At the end of the day, though, it is just an addin.

I took a quick look at the Config.daml file on the metadata github repo and it all looks pretty much dedicated to updating the various metadata categories with the custom metadata property pages, etc. The easiest thing may be to move your other addin content _in to_ your metadata toolkit addin (rather than the other way around). I'd suggest running some of the Pro SDK item templates to add a button, tool, dockpane, and so forth to see where the DAML entries those templates generate go (in the Config.daml). That will show u where u need to stick your addin content if u do bring other content over (from another addin).

Currently, the  `<insertModule ...` tag of the toolkit config looks empty so new controls, etc. arent going to conflict with anything that I can see. U might need to add `<tabs></tabs>`,  `<groups></groups>` and  `<controls></controls>` sections into the insertModule tag by hand if the templates dont generate those auto-magically.... like so (see below).....but just run, say, the button template first  and see if it does it for u. 

<insertModule id="Acme_MD_Toolkit_Module" className="MetadataToolkitModule" autoLoad="false" caption="Metadata Toolkit Module">
  <tabs></tabs>
  <groups></groups>
  <controls></controls>
</insertModule>

TheBobScript
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply and insight, @CharlesMacleod.  It sounds doable - I'll be working to get my current addin to a more mature, stable condition and then give the merger a go.

0 Kudos