zoom to object options

Jump to solution
10-22-2021 08:25 AM
Labels (1)
jorisfrenkel
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I am working in Pro 2.6.4, soon will be 2.6.7.

A new user of Pro complained that when he zooms to an object in ArcGIS Pro, all the flashing and color changing of the object takes too much time, which slows down his productivity.

I looked into the Pro options, but I could not find any settings for this. Am I missing something?

In ArcMap this is much faster.

Regards,

Joris Frenkel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This has not been changed in more current versions of Pro.  There is an idea where the submitter refers to 'animated effects' that I believe is what you are referring to.  @jorisfrenkel you and the new user of Pro who is complaining about this could add your votes (kudos) to Turn off animated effects in ArcGIS Pro.

Just out of curiosity, is it a perceived slowdown in productivity as you stare at the flashing selection, or is it an actual productivity slowdown?  From what I can tell, I am still able to do my work while that flash is occurring.  

SelectionFlash.gif

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Joris - sorry to hear about ArcGIS Pro slow performance with flashing/color changing.  ArcGIS Pro 2.6.4 came out January 1/26/21 and ArcGIS Pro 2.6.7 came out 9/2/21.  The current release of ArcGIS Pro is 2.8.3 released 9/14/21 with the 2.8.0 release being a performance release.  Is it possible to upgrade to latest release to determine if the upgrade improves performance.  Another thing to try is to clear the display cache in the Options->Application->Display->Clear Cache checkbox.  

Another tried and true troubleshooting item is to rename the Esri folder in the C:\Users\<user_profile>\AppData\Local and C:\Users\<user_profile>\AppData\Roaming folder to Esri_Old  What is the result?

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This has not been changed in more current versions of Pro.  There is an idea where the submitter refers to 'animated effects' that I believe is what you are referring to.  @jorisfrenkel you and the new user of Pro who is complaining about this could add your votes (kudos) to Turn off animated effects in ArcGIS Pro.

Just out of curiosity, is it a perceived slowdown in productivity as you stare at the flashing selection, or is it an actual productivity slowdown?  From what I can tell, I am still able to do my work while that flash is occurring.  

SelectionFlash.gif

jorisfrenkel
Occasional Contributor II

Robert, Kory,

Thanks so much for your input. I noticed one thing which is that when I start Pro directly on a server, this  animating slowdown issue is negligable. However, when I use Pro in our Citrix-environment, which regular users have access to, the issue is very noticeable and annoying. So then the question would be which parameters can influence this behaviour in Citrix.

About the version, I can't update to a higher version right now, because we first have to upgrade our database.

I did clear the cache, and this seems to help speed up some things. I do not really understand this though, the cache is meant to speed things up, or isn't it?

Joris

0 Kudos