When will Esri support native Mac OS and Mac hardware?

09-25-2021 08:50 AM
Labels (1)
AhmedAbdelaziz_GIS
New Contributor II

When will Esri support native Mac OS and Mac hardware? or Does Esri planning for such idea.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not going to happen.  They supported both platforms more than a decade ago and abandoned it.

Run ArcGIS Pro on a Mac—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

describes the easiest route for "most" involved.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AhmedAbdelaziz_GIS
New Contributor II

Do you have an idea why they left IOS integrated version?

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@AhmedAbdelaziz_GIS this, unfortnately, and in my personal opinion, is a terrible idea. We finally have a software development house that's receptive to our needs and dynamic in the way they develope out the requirements or bug fixes that our community bring to their attention. If they added a whole parallel resource alongside all the other development, I think we'd see a big slowdown in new development, and a brand new field of challenges. Just my two penn'orth. Interested to hear other viewpoints.

David
..Maps with no limits..
AhmedAbdelaziz_GIS
New Contributor II

Hi @David_Brooks Yes i know. But the progress of IOS performance better by far than others based on windows (M1 processor is significant example) many users have IOS devices also. So that's why they should considered.

0 Kudos
LyonMNGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Ahmed,

You could always put an idea out on https://ideas.arcgis.com however, I doubt it would gain much traction since ArcGIS is very complex and IOS has a small market share.