Visualize a million objects from a layer with 3 million objects

06-25-2022 07:28 AM
AbhishekSubedi
New Contributor II

I have a layer with 3 million objects. I need to visualize around 1 million of them based on their specific object ids, with the remaining 2 million hidden from view. The object ids that I need to select are not sequential. Is there a tool in ArcGIS Pro that would allow me to accomplish this? If not, what might be my options?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You don't ever want to visualize a million anything -- it just takes too long. The solution is to model this with fewer features.

I had a table with 74 million things where I needed to see those things, symbolized by type, at various scales. At 1:20m scale, there could be millions of features, and display took minutes. What I did was alter the features to have the 2, 5, and 10 degree grid cell as a property, then dissolved the points by grid cell and type classification into multi-point features into _grid2, _grid5, and _grid10 tables. Then I generated scale-dependent layers, so the features could display by type, tens and hundreds of thousands of features at a time in each cell.  Render time at any scale was subsecond (often <100ms), but the symbology never changed, and because the features were still present, an identify on any point still provided the full information of any feature.

Something similar is possible with lines and polygons (if you model the polygons as their exterior boundary lines), intersecting the features with fishnet cells (encoded with all three cell levels) then dissolving.  If the features are dynamic, updating the features can be done as a batch, or using an enterprise geodatabase, as a trigger.

- V

AbhishekSubedi
New Contributor II

Thank you for your answer. Although, I do not have any problem visualizing at any scale the three million or so polygons I have right now. It doesn't take long (below one minute). My problem is that I need to selectively visualize only one million of them based on their object ids.

There is no pattern for the 1 million polygons I need to select (I just have the object ids, which are random). I cannot select them based on other fields, because as stated, I only know the object ids that I need to select. I am sorry if there exists a simple solution to this. I am a beginner in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If there is no attribute you could query or spatial association that you can use to aid in your selection, then your only option would be to click each one and add it to the selection.

If on the other hand, you had the numbers in a table you could piece together an attribute join then select the records where the resultant table had values in both the object id and joined field table.  Those records that had no value would not be selected during a query and your selection would be done.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AbhishekSubedi
New Contributor II

That should actually do it. I can add a column to my table with entries as 1 (for objects I need to visualize) and 0 (for objects I don't), and only select 1. Thank you so much.

0 Kudos