Those of you running ArcGIS Pro: What are your system specs? Are you happy with the performance?

03-17-2016 12:37 PM
TreyPrestigiacomo
New Contributor II

We have 2 machines that run ArcGIS Pro. They both are lagging when running ArcGIS Pro, especially when using LAS datasets and 3D scenes. These machines mostly meet or exceed ESRI's optimal specs. Is anyone happy with their ArcGIS Pro Performance? More Video Card? More Processor?

Machine 1:

Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz Dual core

24gb RAM

NVIDIA Titan Z video card

Windows 7

Dell T3500

Machine 2:

Lenovo

intel i7 6700 8 cores

16gb RAM

K2200 Quaddro video card

Window 7

0 Kudos
40 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have no issues running PRO... but I have higher end of both ram and video...the one difference is I am running Windows 10 which for .... a qualitative assessment ... runs faster than a similar Windows 7 machine.  I suspect that it may be that 7 is so patched with updates over time.  I would pay attention to the notice on the requirements page about the video driver with Direct X suggested over other emulators.  In reality, you can only invest in what you can afford but I wouldn't go below 32 GB of ram again... but I don't know much video intensive work

TreyPrestigiacomo
New Contributor II

Interesting thought about windows 7. That is something to consider. Here is a little more info: when we are testing and performance is lagging, RAM usage rarely goes above 4-5 gb. However, on machine 1(the dual core) the processor is frequently pegged to the max. But, on machine 2 both processor(i7 8 core) and RAM are barely being used when the lagging occurs. Machine 2 performs worse with ArcGIS Pro than machine 1. So this leads me to believe that one should max out processor and video card when building a system.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Windows 10 V1511 OS build 10586.164

Inter Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00Ghz 4.00 Ghz

Ram 32 GB

64-bit operating system , x64-based processor

NVIDIA hardware

GeForce GTX 970

CUDA Cores 1664

Graphics clock 1215 MHz

DirectX 12.0

Dedicated video memory 4096 MB GDDR5

Plus 3 hard drives, 2 of those new types and one conventional

No slow downs regardless, never had memory max, works great with PRO..

I would consider this a base machine for serious work... but it all depends on what you do

TreyPrestigiacomo
New Contributor II

It looks like the GeForce GTX 970 gaming card compares favorably to workstation cards like the Quaddro K2200 and for less! So my take away is this: When spec'ing out a ArcGIS Pro Machine - max out processor and max out video card. 16gb of RAM will do just fine. Of course, budgets will always dictate what one can afford.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Trey,

When you have performance issues, please hit shift-e with the map view focused.  This will give a large performance readout at the top of the view, including FPS, as well as the number of triangles being driven at any given moment.  Post a screenshot of the 8 core machine when you're experiencing these performance issues and we can take a look.  I'm guessing the number of triangles being driven (number after "FPS" in the readout) exceeds the GPU memory, which is causing thrashing to disc for geometries during rendering.

If this is the case, turning on some distance visibility limits may help by limiting the view - you can find these per-layer in the General properties or on the APPEARANCE tab of the ribbon with the layer focused.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jeremy,

I found your post interesting as I am experiencing serious issues with performance as well.

I posted last week my configs:

ArcGIS Pro 2.2 | Best configuration ? 

Here is the FPS for drawing performance. Turning off layers improve overall display performance, from FPS 80 to about FPS 50...

However, when clicking labels to edit Annotation attributes such as Right aligment, then  Apply, I still have to wait about 15-20 sec to view changes. This is unacceptable and frustrating. Moving Annotation is not any better...

Is Editing greatly improved with a dedicated graphic card?

Thanks

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Vincent,

Annotation does not draw in tiles like other layers (this is to maintain the consistent representation of long text strings that may pass tile boundaries), so it has to redraw the entire screen each edit when it is invalidated (such as when you edit properties of an element).  Thus, your GPU is not really a limiting factor here - it's the propagation of changes to the annotation layer and map that are triggering a redraw, though 10-15 seconds does sound like a frustratingly long delay.

To minimize the effects of this try the following:

1.  Make sure that ONLY the one annotation FC you are editing is visible (so that only one FC has to be invalidated)

2.  Zoom in to minimize the extent you're viewing if possible to only the anno you're working with.

Beyond that I'd probably suggest you contact Esri support directly so you can perform more interactive troubleshooting of the problem.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II

The description of how annotation works is helpful.  Like Vincent, I also encountered 10-15 sec. delays (and frequent crashing) while trying to edit annotation in Pro.  I do not have a dedicated GPU and was hoping that was the reason for the annotation headaches.

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Jeremy for your reply.

Turning off all other layer do not improve performance at all. For redrawing, yes. But not for editing annotations... In addition, in a typical ArcGIS Pro mapping project, there is always quite a few annotation feature classes open at the same time in order to make a complete map.

On the other hand, what I discovered and which can be of great help to anybody editing annotation: if you edit annotation thought the Attributes Pane (Edit tab-> Selection group-> Attributes), it takes much longer than editing interactively directly on the map. So CLOSE the Attributes Pane.

On the other end, you cannot edit angles (with precision), alignments and other properties interactively...  In terms of performance, updating an annotation in the Attributes pane mentioned above (Editing tab -> Tools group -> Attributes), such as a text, can take up to 45ec. Unbelievable! Just like changing Angle. In addition, I also noticed that any annotation with an angle other than 0 tend to take much longer to Apply changes.

So far, I rebuild regularly the Spatial indexes in case they become not optimized and use Compact FGDB. Also, I am trying to fine tune Cache to improve performance... All of this until I find the best settings to work in better conditions...

And something else bothers me. Even editing symbols from in point feature class (stored locally on FGDB) is really slow and perhaps slower than editing annotations. As Jeremy explained earlier, I understood that regular feature classes do not redraw like the annotation feature classes. Regular feature classes should make good use of Cache settings. This is another mystery to investigate. (previously in ArcMap, I used to convert point symbols in annotation feature class - not graphic layer stored only in .mxd project - and this was the best and faster workaround I found). But in ArcGIS Pro, it is not possible to convert point symbols in annotation feature class.

Finally, there is a similar discussion in parallel on these issues here:

https://community.esri.com/thread/222302-arcgis-pro-22-best-configuration 

0 Kudos