Tabulate Intersection: Sum Field missing records

06-29-2022 03:59 PM
La_Olivia
New Contributor III

I am on Pro 2.9.2 and am trying to calculate the number of housing units (point dataset) in specific zones (polygon). After running the tabulate intersection function, I noticed that my output table calculated the sum of housing units for most zones, but it is missing for others. I can't figure out why.  For the highlighted records, I know they are missing because I ran the tabulate intersection tool for a 2020 housing dataset about two years ago, where there are housing units for the zones. So I know I should return a number for those zones.

I'll need to calculate the sum for a larger dataset, and I don't want to do so until I know that the tabulate intersection function can handle more than 34 zones. Has this situation come up for anyone? Could anyone help me troubleshoot what is going on?

The zones highlighted below are missing the sum of housing units. 

Lau_Olivia_0-1656542864237.png

For a few records that are missing, I ran just 3 zones, and only 1 of the 3 returned a sum result of housing units.

Lau_Olivia_1-1656543194268.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RussellProvost1
New Contributor III

Hi @La_Olivia . Did you ever resolve this issue? I am seeing similar issues in Pro 3.0. I am simply trying sum various square footage categories from a parcel point file within census blocks zones. The sum for each land use category is often incorrect. This seems to be a pug for point in polygon summation analysis. 

0 Kudos
La_Olivia
New Contributor III

Unfortunately not. Following your post, I ran the tabulate intersection and sum tool on a different dataset against point data, and the table returned some null results where I knew there should be numbers. As you mentioned, I do hope that ESRI can fix this bug.

0 Kudos
RussellProvost1
New Contributor III

I concluded that the tool cannot handle NULL values. Convert all of your NULL values to 0 and the tool should work. Why ESRI has not documented this explicitly is unclear.