Select by location fails to capture full layer

03-24-2023 08:42 AM
SamB
by
New Contributor

Hello!  I'm working with a polygon layer of fire regimes that has been converted from a raster.  I'm trying to isolate the layer to an existing polygon (ranger district boundary).  When I try to use select by location and then create layer from selection, using "within" the ranger district as the location, the selection only grabs about 2/3 of the fire regime layer.  Any ideas why?

Additionally, I'm trying to get an acreage total for each regime within the ranger district.  I've added a field "acres", run the calculate geometry, and then summarize tool to get some numbers.  The combined numbers I'm getting for acreage are way bigger than the total acreage of the ranger district.  Is this due to overlapping polygons?

Anyway, trying to figure out if this is the best way to go about getting this information, or if I need to go a different route.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

it is hard to tell from those images, but "within" may not be what is needed, did you try "intersects" or one of the other options?

As for areas, Calculate Geometry Attributes using the geodesic option is the best option (overlaps aside)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SamB
by
New Contributor

I will give those a try!  Currently working on a remote desktop which is having some issues at the moment, but I'll let you know how it goes.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
SamB
by
New Contributor

Hey that worked!  So I went a bit of a different route, but using the geodesic option gave me better results.  To capture the area within the ranger district I used the clip tool, then selected all visible features in the fire regime layer, and created a layer from that selection.  Then created an acres field, calculated, and summarized using acres (geodesic).  Whew!  Thank you for the help DanPatterson!

0 Kudos