Reorder fields in ArcGIS Pro 2.7

Jump to solution
06-28-2022 09:29 AM
Labels (1)
OliverIshmael
Occasional Contributor

I would like to permanently reorder the fields of an existing File Geodatabase Feature Class using ArcGIS Pro 2.7

When I try to use the Feature Class to Feature Class tool, using the instructions given here, it does not reorder the fields.

I tried to follow the workaround of exporting to shapefile suggested here, however, this doesn't work either.

I consider this pretty basic functionality so it's really surprising that it doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
BrandonBoisvert
New Contributor III

Have you considered creating a new feature class with the fields in the desired order and then using the "append (data management tools)" to populate the new feature class with your existing data? If you name the fields the same it should easily populate all the data, or if you use different field names with the new feature class, make sure you use the tools field matching type parameters to ensure all desired data is carried over.

BrandonBoisvert_0-1656435872400.png

View solution in original post

Ed-Conrad
New Contributor II

I definitely can relate to the frustration with Esri!  

Here's a workflow that allows this:
How To: Permanently Reorder Fields in a Feature Class Using the Export Features Tool in Ar (esri.com...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BrandonBoisvert
New Contributor III

Have you considered creating a new feature class with the fields in the desired order and then using the "append (data management tools)" to populate the new feature class with your existing data? If you name the fields the same it should easily populate all the data, or if you use different field names with the new feature class, make sure you use the tools field matching type parameters to ensure all desired data is carried over.

BrandonBoisvert_0-1656435872400.png

NickMcNamara
New Contributor II

It's been what, 15 years now that Esri has had this very common request "under consideration"? They refused to make the tool for ArcMap and so far, there's nothing for Pro either? We've got 4D space time cubes though - everyone uses that, right? Make the tool already. Let's get our priorities straight. Everyone would use this all the time.

Ed-Conrad
New Contributor II

I definitely can relate to the frustration with Esri!  

Here's a workflow that allows this:
How To: Permanently Reorder Fields in a Feature Class Using the Export Features Tool in Ar (esri.com...