"No M Value" error in Routes Analysis

Jump to solution
05-20-2022 02:18 PM
AmyNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am running route analysis with a custom route network, and I am getting the error message: "The output geometry for ... has no M values because the maximum M value is larger than the largest M value that can be supported by the M domain," for every single route.  I still get routes, but I'm running half a million routes and the message writing might be slowing down the processing, or at the very least is creating a huge message log to wade through to find potentially important error messages. 

The only documentation I can find on this error is for ArcMap and involves setting the feature shape to "true shape", which doesn't appear to be an option in Pro (possibly "along network" is the equivalent setting, which is what I used).  I also tried exporting the network input feature class to one with no M or Z values, but I still get the error message.  

Other ideas would be much appreciated.  

Thanks,

Amy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmyNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Lukas at Esri kindly pointed out that the second fix option at that link is doable in Pro (change the network dataset cost attribute to a larger unit), and lo and behold, it worked!  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kurdishbrwar
Occasional Contributor
Hello Miss Amy, I think that if you include pictures of the topic, the idea and the type of error might be more clear to everyone, and thus determine the appropriate treatment for the problem. My appreciation and thanks go to your colleague Sabah from Iraq.

0 Kudos
AmyNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Well, I'm not sure what images would be helpful, and the error message is clearly stated in my post.  I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with M value errors and know a way to prevent them.  I do not see anywhere in the environments or other settings of the route analysis tools (create route analysis layer, add locations, solve) where I could set something like, "ignore M values".  I did find an esri help page about this particular error, but it referred to ArcMap tool options, Change the Output Shape Type of the network analysis layer properties to True Shape. This is done to exclude the m-values when solving the network analysis layers,” but this does not appear to be an option in Pro.  I used "along network" as my line shape in Output Geometry.  Perhaps I need to do this in ArcMap?

0 Kudos
AmyNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Lukas at Esri kindly pointed out that the second fix option at that link is doable in Pro (change the network dataset cost attribute to a larger unit), and lo and behold, it worked!  

0 Kudos