Problems inserting an image into a Layout

06-05-2019 05:58 AM
BrendonJoyce
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I have been trying to move over to Pro more often, but there have been quite a few issues holding me back. This question pertains to my issues with inserting images (PNG/JPG) onto an ArcPro map layout.

For some water main design work, I wanted to show a rudimentary profile on the layout for a better visual. I am able to have this work as normal if I import the layout file from the project on the network drive to ArcPro 2.3.3 on my local machine as shown in "ArcPro working images".

I am unable to insert these same images if I am using my virtual desktop workstation that has ArcPro 2.3.2 along with my enterprise GIS data. I have tried moving the images to different locations (local/server based), re-exporting them as different file types, nothing seems to work. There are also not many options once you get an image onto the layout to troubleshoot, it is just invisible but selectable as shown on "Arc Pro non working images"

This image issue, along with my inability to export PDFs on my virtual setup (something I do dozens of times with each of my water main designs in ArcMap as I work, ) is really holding me back from using ArcPro. These are both things that work when I import the layout file and test it on my local version of Pro (*note* 2.3.3 AND no enterprise GIS layers)

Any ideas or personal experiences would be appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brendon, 

I'm unaware of any specific issue concerning inserting or drawing picture elements on a layout through a virtual machine. In my testing this works fine. There may be a specific issue that tech support can help you out with. 

They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Once a picture has been added to the layout it is part of the document.  

From the help (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/layouts/add-and-modify-graphics-and-text.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_88...)

After a picture has been added to the layout, it is stored with the project and loses the connection to the original image file. This makes sharing projects easier. However, if the source image is updated, all projects using that image need to be manually updated with the new image.

I can see how the UI may be confusing in that it still shows the location of the original file giving the impression that the element still references this location. It does not. The text box for the source is available so that you can replace the current image with another.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

Jorgensen-GIS
New Contributor

Did you find a solution to this issue? My new install is also producing this same error/issue of not displaying inserted images in the layouts.

DucksInaRiver
New Contributor III

Same over here. I need to add our Logo into the map layout and I have tried to simply move the png file into the Project in which my Layout is contained followed by proceeding to Insert Graphics and Text box , and the png appears in the Project level folder but reads "this container is empty". I have replicated the problem with other jpgs and pngs and consistently lack the capability. I am getting the impression that this should not be happening based on the ESRI resources@TomBole, could this be something that isn't actually unique to each of our systems?  Thanks

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi DucksInaRiver,

No, the issue you are describing is not unique to the system, but may be "unique" how the image has been inserted. For example, was the image selected in the Insert Picture dialog with a single click or with a double click. There is a known issue with double clicking the image file in the Insert Picture dialog browser - see BUG-000151431. We are hoping to fix this for the next release (3.1).  There have also been issues with copy/paste, but it does not look like that is part of your scenario.

If you are double-clicking try a single click to select the image file in the browser and then click the ok button on the Insert Picture dialog. Hopefully this will help you work around the issue.

If this does not work for you then there is another unknown variable causing problems. In this case it is important to contact support. They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data if needed. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

I know it is frustrating. We try to cover as many variables as we can think of as we test. But unfortunately, we miss some. 

Hope this helps,

Tom

DucksInaRiver
New Contributor III

@TomBole , Thank you for the quick reply on the issue I was having. The single click option resolved the problem. I did not try the copy/paste method and stuck to the Layout view > Insert tab and selected the picture from Graphics and Text followed by a single click selection of the png logo I needed and drew the box for the image to appear. Also, in throwing out a reminder to any users out there who've stumbled across this thread; if you do not see the options above make sure you are not in Activate Map mode in Layout view or you will not have the Insert graphics options in your ribbon. To Close Activation click on Layout in the top ribbon (same line as Project, Map, Data Frames, etc.) and hit 'Close Activation' so you regain those other options. Took me a moment to figure that out myself...still getting used to Pro over here.