Overwrite existing Feature Class with new Data?

Jump to solution
09-23-2021 06:24 AM
Labels (3)
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to explain my question clearly, so please ask follow up questions if this doesn't make sense.

I received new Parcel data, which does not have Zoning data attached to it. So I took our existing Zoning data that we created (from an old Parcel dataset), and used the Join Field GP Tool. This successfully added the Zoning attributes to the correct parcels by Parcel ID.

The issue I am now running into is this:

The existing Zoning data that we have is only for 17 out of 37 municipalities. When I was creating this data, I clipped each of those 17 municipal Parcels to their municipal boundaries and modified the data. So I now have a .gdb with individual Feature Classes that hold the OLD parcels.

So my long-winded question is: Is there any way to take the new Parcel data (which is the entire county) and overwrite the existing Feature classes (municipal)? Or do I need to re-clip all new Feature Classes? What is the best way to go about this?

Zoning.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

Kamille,

You could create a field in your county level data that assigns each zone feature to a municipality.

Then export using an expression on that field. "Municipality = Audubon"

If you plan on doing this often, this could probably be set up easily using Model Builder or a python script.

When using Clip, if your zone boundaries do not exactly match your municipality boundary, then a portion of that feature may be clipped off.

For example; The blue area is my city limit. The thin black line is a parcel outline. You can see that if I clipped based on my city limit boundary that a sliver of the parcel will be excluded. Paul_Christensen_1-1632405140512.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

Kamille,

You could create a field in your county level data that assigns each zone feature to a municipality.

Then export using an expression on that field. "Municipality = Audubon"

If you plan on doing this often, this could probably be set up easily using Model Builder or a python script.

When using Clip, if your zone boundaries do not exactly match your municipality boundary, then a portion of that feature may be clipped off.

For example; The blue area is my city limit. The thin black line is a parcel outline. You can see that if I clipped based on my city limit boundary that a sliver of the parcel will be excluded. Paul_Christensen_1-1632405140512.png

KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your response! I actually was thinking of already adding a Muni field, I think this will make the process much easier as well. I assume that I will be doing this task yearly each time we receive new parcel data, so I'd like to automate this as much as possible.

I am not familiar with Model Builder and only know my Python basics, but maybe this is something I can challenge myself to work on!

0 Kudos
RosalyneTaylor
New Contributor II

I had a similar situation and this method worked best for me also.  I stumbled upon the solution. Thanks for sharing 

0 Kudos