Missing field in csv

Jump to solution
10-13-2015 04:23 PM
TinaGrant
New Contributor III

I have a table saved to a .csv in LibreOffice. When I add the table to ArcMap, the last field is missing. The whole column just...gone. Suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You can't copy it to an xls, but do you have any other options?  .dbf or a true .csv ? 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

perhaps you could paste a portion of the file to facilitate an answer, although I think one of the rules for importing csv files has been broke

Table To Table—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

As Dan mentioned, a screenshot at least would help, but is the last column by any chance very long text, so it wants to create it as a BLOB?  I know I used to have issues with that.  But I think that was pre 10.2.2

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

true...you might want to look at the field mapping documentation as well Attribute field mapping—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
TinaGrant
New Contributor III

I haven't even gotten as far as converting the csv to a table: the last column isn't there when I just add the table to the map.

I'm not sure that a screenshot would help, since all you'd see is a column that isn't there. It's a very small table: 423 rows and 6 columns. The missing column consists of 6- or 7- digit integers, as is the column immediately to its left, which *does* show up.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is the field names ... if it begins with a number put a letter in front of the numbers...if memory serves a field name cannot begin with a number​

just copy the field names.  Also, make sure there are no blanks in the first X rows

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

a good way to test this is to rearrange the columns.  Also, add another field and ad bogus data and/or duplicate another column.

Recommend making a backup of you file first....just in case.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

oh...and no spaces in the column names either.....put a _ between words if needed.

0 Kudos
TinaGrant
New Contributor III

Yeah, I thought of that...I did change the field names so they all start with letters.

It's not reading the first row in as field names either, though; the names default to Field1,2 and so on. I'm thinking this may have something to do with LibreOffice specifically. Unfortunately I don't have Excel so I can't just convert to .xls.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you upload, at the very least, the first two rows (header and first row of data) of your CSV file?

0 Kudos