Match Symbology to a style?

Jump to solution
01-27-2023 10:56 AM
Davec43
Occasional Contributor

I've created a list of the layers in the map and I'm trying to then use that list to match symbology to a style. Is it possible? When I try I get an error.

import arcpy

import random
from itertools import groupby
from collections import defaultdict
aprx = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject("CURRENT")
act_map = aprx.activeMap
map1 = aprx.listMaps("Map1")

layer = act_map.listLayers()
lyr_list = []
for position in range(0, len(layer)):
    lyr_name = layer[position].name
    lyr_list.append(lyr_name)

arcpy.management.MatchLayerSymbologyToAStyle(lyr_list, "$feature.Type", r"\\Path\ArcGIS_Styles.stylx")

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\management.py", line 10200, in MatchLayerSymbologyToAStyle
    raise e
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\management.py", line 10197, in MatchLayerSymbologyToAStyle
    retval = convertArcObjectToPythonObject(gp.MatchLayerSymbologyToAStyle_management(*gp_fixargs((in_layer, match_values, in_style), True)))
  File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 512, in <lambda>
    return lambda *args: val(*gp_fixargs(args, True))
RuntimeError: Object: Error in executing tool

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielMiranda2
Occasional Contributor

MatchLayerSymbologyToAStyle takes a layer as an input parameter, but you are trying to pass a list of layers into the tool, which will not work. Your MatchLayerSymbologyToAStyle has to be part of your loop.

Additionally, lines 10-14 are not needed. listLayers() gives you everything you need, so constructing a list of layer names is extra work. I would remove lines 10-16 and use this:

layers = act_map.listLayers()
for lyr in layers:
    arcpy.management.MatchLayerSymbologyToAStyle("$feature.Type", r"\\Path\ArcGIS_Styles.stylx") 

Note, act_map is referring to your current active map in your ArcGIS Pro project. This can sometimes be annoying if you have multiple maps in a project and don't have the right one open. I usually prefer to just define the map by its name. You do that with, 

But never actually use this variable. If map1 is what you actually want to use, I'd replace act_map with map1.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielMiranda2
Occasional Contributor

MatchLayerSymbologyToAStyle takes a layer as an input parameter, but you are trying to pass a list of layers into the tool, which will not work. Your MatchLayerSymbologyToAStyle has to be part of your loop.

Additionally, lines 10-14 are not needed. listLayers() gives you everything you need, so constructing a list of layer names is extra work. I would remove lines 10-16 and use this:

layers = act_map.listLayers()
for lyr in layers:
    arcpy.management.MatchLayerSymbologyToAStyle("$feature.Type", r"\\Path\ArcGIS_Styles.stylx") 

Note, act_map is referring to your current active map in your ArcGIS Pro project. This can sometimes be annoying if you have multiple maps in a project and don't have the right one open. I usually prefer to just define the map by its name. You do that with, 

But never actually use this variable. If map1 is what you actually want to use, I'd replace act_map with map1.

Davec43
Occasional Contributor

Thank you!

0 Kudos