list of entities in separate areas

Jump to solution
05-20-2022 05:04 PM
WinstonPonder
New Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3

I need to obtain a list of entities (species) from point data overlaying a shapefile of different regions (of Australia). Each region may have up to 150 species. Whereas I can get numbers of different species in each region I have been unable to find a routine that delivers a list of  the species present by region.

Output needed is Region1 - list of species present in region 1, Region 2 - list of species present in region 2, etc. Ideally the lists would not include duplicate names.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

I create some quick sample data.  Initially I created 2 test feature classes, one containing 20 "Species" points (I named it Test1PointData) that fall with 2 test polygons (Test1PolyData).  The unique ID of the polygons is names PolyUID and the "Species" attribute of the points file contains the species name.

First I ran a spatial join using the points as the target to add the Unique ID of the polygon they fell within to each point.  Then I ran the Summary Statistics tool on the resulting spatially joined points file (the resulting FC being named "Test1PointData_SpatialJoin" in this example). 

The image below shows the results and the options I used in the Summary Statistics tool.  The light blue highlighted records in the upper left are "Test1PointData_SpatialJoin" points that fall within the Test1PolyData polygon having UID "Polygon1".  It is just here to illustrate that the returned statistics are correct.  Hope this helps.

KimGarbade_0-1653218230441.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

I create some quick sample data.  Initially I created 2 test feature classes, one containing 20 "Species" points (I named it Test1PointData) that fall with 2 test polygons (Test1PolyData).  The unique ID of the polygons is names PolyUID and the "Species" attribute of the points file contains the species name.

First I ran a spatial join using the points as the target to add the Unique ID of the polygon they fell within to each point.  Then I ran the Summary Statistics tool on the resulting spatially joined points file (the resulting FC being named "Test1PointData_SpatialJoin" in this example). 

The image below shows the results and the options I used in the Summary Statistics tool.  The light blue highlighted records in the upper left are "Test1PointData_SpatialJoin" points that fall within the Test1PolyData polygon having UID "Polygon1".  It is just here to illustrate that the returned statistics are correct.  Hope this helps.

KimGarbade_0-1653218230441.png

0 Kudos