link a map pane to a map frame

11-25-2022 08:30 AM
davidchamberlain2
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I have a map frame displaying layers from the map pane in pro, I want to be able to move the map pane location and have this sync with the map frame. So as I move the map pane location from point A to point B I want the map frame location to move with it. I cant figure this out, can anyone help please?

I will attach a couple of images. I want to be able to change location in the map pane(Image 1) and have the map frame(Image 2) move to that same location/sync.

Thank you

Dave

3 Replies
DanielMiranda2
Occasional Contributor

As of ArcGIS Pro 2.9, in a layout, if you right click the map frame, you should have an option to Zoom to Last Active Map. This will have your layout Map Frame match your Map Pane. It is not automatic, but it is a quick way to match the extent.

Refer to: Work with a map on a layout—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation (search for zoom to last active map)

davidchamberlain2
New Contributor III

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your help. I will keep your advice in mind for when we upgrade but we are currently on 2.8.8. Any ideas for this version?

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
DanielMiranda2
Occasional Contributor

Before that new option existed, I would create a bookmark in the map pane. Then, back over on the layout, right click the map frame and activate it. The ribbon menu will then give you access to the Map tab and the bookmarks. Then you can select your bookmark and the layout map frame will zoom to the extent. Finally, make sure to deactivate the map frame so you do not accidently navigate away.

If you need to make changes, then update the bookmark, or create a new one, and apply it again to the layout map frame.

A little less elegant, but it works.

0 Kudos