Limit or Disable drag and drop from Catalog

09-20-2021 04:19 PM
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

I am running into a problem where I accidentally move/copy features or within folders and gdbs somewhere in the Catalog via the Catalog pane accidentally.  I am getting used to a knock-off Wacom Tablet and unintentional movement has twice today started copying items inadvertently.  

Are there any ways to restrict file movement from the Catalog pane?  Or even a size limit that would generate a dialog box - "...[Are you sure you want to move/copy such and such]".

thanks,

Zach

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Quite possibly the only answer is to not use a Wacom Tablet.  In a windows based machine I always get a message asking me to confirm I want to copy/move items in Catalog

0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann1

But I need a tablet for editing features.  It's for ergonomics and kind of efficiency.  So you are saying if drag and drop files in the Catalog in ArcPro you have to confirm the move before it will execute?

My setup just does it - whole gdb if I make a mistake.  Any ideas your settings that led to this?

Windows 10 - ArcPro 2.8 (latest update).

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

It gets down to training yourself to not do it. Slow down and take your time. 

I can see where it may happen if your using a small screen and something other than a mouse. 

I just realized I was referring to ArcCatalog. You can move in Pro and not get prompted to do so. 

0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann1

I appreciate the response Robert.  Unfortunately my hand control combined with the stylus/tracking pad sensitivity sometimes lead to accidents I cannot control.  That's a bummer.  I poked around the ESRI docs, forums and explored settings in my Pro Project (Project --> Options) and there does not seem to be a way to limit file movement from the Catalog Pane.  Good to know about Arc Catalog though!  

0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann1

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around except @RobertBorchert  (thanks Robert!)...

I added an idea to add ArcCatalog file protection protocol (for lack of a better term) to Pro: 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/option-to-lock-drag-and-drop-file-movement-in/idi-p/1... 

0 Kudos