Layout > Insert Table Frame: What determines what records are displaye

Jump to solution
01-24-2023 07:57 PM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

When you insert a Table Frame into a Layout, what determines which records are displayed, as the default?

...They are not in the same order as the Attribute Table.

Note that I realize you can "sort" them ascending or descending later in Properties.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Thanks again -- great explanation!
...For my specific questions, yours was better than theirs 😉 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

The records originally display in the order they were created, so it matches the OID. The attribute table can be sorted on any field but the layout doesn't know how you want it sorted so it goes to the way the data was originally created. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Interesting, thanks!

...I also noticed that running a query on the Attribute Table beforehand doesn't change anything either.

But, see this Query option in the Table Frame Properties (see below). I'm not noticing this changing anything, even if the Attribute Table is only showing a few "visible" rows. ...What does the option really do?

Craig_Eissler_Iceman_0-1674658137896.png

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

So the query does exactly what it says, it either shows all the rows in the table frame or only the rows that are visible. Visibility is determined by the map frame extent, not the map view or an open attribute table view. You can see what map frame is associated with the table frame by looking at the Map Frame option on the Element pane.

In some cases, like yours it sounds like, there won't be a difference between the All rows and Visible rows options because all the rows are displayed in the map frame extent. In that case, it doesn't matter which option is selected. If you want to see how queries work you can zoom in to only a few records in the map frame and watch the table update depending on which query you select.

I hope this helps! There is also some great information on table frames in the ArcGIS Pro Help documentation here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/add-and-modify-table-frames.htm

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Thanks again -- great explanation!
...For my specific questions, yours was better than theirs 😉 

0 Kudos