KML to Layer Popup field come in blank

02-13-2015 06:33 AM
MatthewKalcich
Occasional Contributor

This is probably a quick answer for someone

I had data delivered to me from Google Earth that is very attribute rich in Google Earth's pop up. When I convert the KMZ to the layer the popup field is blank. How do I import this data from Google Earth while at the same time preserving the popup data?

Thanks,

Matt

Tags (1)
10 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Could you include an example of the place mark description?   Or attach a placemark to this discussion?

mark

0 Kudos
MatthewKalcich
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I would prefer to not include any of the data on the post since it is client oriented data.

Basically in Google earth there is a pop up with a lot of data that I would like to preserve.

When I do "Convert KMZ to Layer" the only attribute that get pushed over is the name. Nothing in the pop up comes over even though there is a field called "pop up". My assumption is that the pop up field would get populated with the pop up in Google Earth and I would just parse out the data from there.

Would there be some reason why this function would not work correctly

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes,  the description should be present in the resulting attribute table, in a field called popupinfo.

I would look do see if there are any "characters"  {%& etc... in the description that might be causing an issue.  I don't know of any.. (I am not an expert with the tool) but that is what I would look for first.

What fields do you get in the resulting data, and what version of ArcGIS are you using?

Mark

0 Kudos
MatthewKalcich
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mark,

I am using 10.3 .......... The only weird value I see in there pop up is "5.93002e+13" in reference to a number.

Would that value be causing my problem?

If that the case I am looking at 560 records....... that's a lot of correcting I will have to do

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

Does your popup look something like the attached image? Or if you can look in your KML, do you see an <ExtendedData> tag (like I've shown beside the popup)?

KML.jpg

If so, the KML tool doesn't currently translate these extended items into attributes inside the created featureclass.

We currently have an enhancement logged for the tool to translate these values.

As a workaround you could use ArcGIS Explorer Desktop to open the KML, use that to save as a Layer Package and open the layer package inside ArcMap. You'll get this information inside the popup then -- it wont be as individual attributes, but you'll maintain that information in one from.

MatthewKalcich
Occasional Contributor

Yes it is very similar

Ugh...... that work around isn't even a work around........ I would need it in a table.

Do you know when that enhancement will be out?

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

No, I'm sorry I don't have a timeframe for that enhancement.

I'm pretty sure the Data Interop extension handles the extended attributes if you happen to have that.

I haven't tried any, but there are a bunch of tools that various individuals have built to translate KML. You'd have to independently try them to see if they translate these. A bunch of options are listed here: How to convert between KML and Esri's shapefile (SHP) format? - Geographic Information Systems Stack...

MatthewKalcich
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kevin,

I appreciate the input. I will dig through that info and see if I can come up with something that works

Thanks Again

Matt

0 Kudos
GoWest
by
New Contributor III

<ExtendedData> tag still not implemented for import kml.