Importing a mxd in Pro results in layers with feature exclusion sets

Jump to solution
01-19-2022 08:14 AM
BrianRobeson
New Contributor III

I recently encountered this bug when importing a mxd in Pro.

BUG-000146074
Synopsis: Importing a map document from ArcMap 10.8.1 into ArcGIS Pro 2.9 and 2.9.1 results in layers with feature exclusions.

Description:

Importing a map document in Pro results in layers with feature exclusion sets that did not exist in the original map document.  These are layers that are typically created by selecting features and choosing Make Layer from Selected Features from the layer right-click menu.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Find or create a map document with at least one vector layer.
  2. Check the layer to make sure it is not a selection set.
  3. Close ArcMap and open Pro.
  4. Import the map document in Pro.
  5. Check the layer properties in the map table of contents.  The source tab contains an information notification that the layer contains a subset of features.  The Selection tab displays the Feature Exclusion Set and includes a checkbox to clear the list of excluded features. 
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I see BUG-000146074 in the "internals" and its status is "In Review" - I suspect the ArcGIS Pro Dev Team is examining it - hopefully resolved in a future update.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I see BUG-000146074 in the "internals" and its status is "In Review" - I suspect the ArcGIS Pro Dev Team is examining it - hopefully resolved in a future update.

ChrisDunlop
New Contributor II

Grr, I've just finished manually converting about 150 mxds to Pro and have republished them using Pro.  Any idea if this will affect the data in the map services as the underlying data changes (it's my understanding that selection sets break down as the data changes).  And if I go back through all the Pro projects and remove the feature exclusion sets, do I need to republish the services?  That would be a REAL pain...

Chris

0 Kudos
ColForbin
Occasional Contributor

also wondering if there's a way to programmatically clear the feature exclusion set using python?

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you create Exclusion Sets directly in Pro?

Or are Exclusion Sets an artifact of having a layer selection applied in an mxd that is imported into Pro?

0 Kudos