Features Disappearing in ArcPro

01-24-2022 09:59 PM
M_9999
by
New Contributor II

I am creating line and point features in ArcPro. Sometimes (not every time) when I zoom in and out features will disappear. I have closed Pro and restarted and also exported the features into a new project and nothing has changed. I have gone through the properties for each feature class and the spatial reference is correct. I have also noticed that after I split a line segment in two both components disappeared. I can select the line segements where they are meant to be and it highlights them in the attribute table but they're just not displaying. Maybe a UI issue? I am using the most current version of ArcPro. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III
  1. What version of ArcGIS Pro you running? The current version is 2.9.1.

shan_sarkar_0-1643095528966.png

1. Does the data reside in a personal geodatabase or file geodatabase or enterprise?
  2. Does the issue replicate on a new project file?
  3. Run the Check Geometry from the ArcToollBox to see if there are any geometrical issues like self-intersection and such. The tool will generate a non-spatial table with the list of issue if any. Then you can execute the Repair Geometry tool to fix the issues.
  4. Try to use the Feature class to Feature class tool from the ArcToollBox, this used to be an issue at times back when we used to use ArcGIS Desktop. The Spatial Index of the data would get corrupted or sometimes the software would not be able to read it, so using the tool would create a new feature class with a new spatial index.

I hope this helps!

~Shan
0 Kudos
IlkaIllers1

I just started having the same issue. Wasn't a problem before, but suddenly features and labels appear and disappear as if a visibility range was set. I was looking at the same data yesterday and it didn't happen...

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3. The data is stored in file gdb. Haven't tried repair geometry (does this do anything to point data?) and the fc to fc tool yet. 

0 Kudos
IlkaIllers1

IlkaIllers1_0-1643109683331.png

IlkaIllers1_1-1643109705104.pngIlkaIllers1_2-1643109725797.pngIlkaIllers1_3-1643109758562.png

IlkaIllers1_4-1643109801172.png

IlkaIllers1_5-1643109837900.png

All I did was zoom in and out. It stopped loading but features and labels appear and disappear randomly.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Upgrading to the latest version of ArcGIS Pro is usually a good move as they resolve and implement a lot of Bugs and enhancements for the older versions.

Additionally, I wanted to check if you set any Display layers at certain scales to the feature class in the Table of contents?

~Shan
0 Kudos
IlkaIllers1

I am not able to upgrade since my company manages upgrades centrally. I don't have any visibility ranges set, no.

It also happens randomly simply when I press the refresh button.

IlkaIllers1

I was able to solve the problem by saving my edits. Not sure how that related to the displaying of data but saving (or discarding edits) never hurts. Does that solve your problem as well @M_9999 ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Saving edits completes the creation of the object, including its properties that permit display since display requires an attribute to symbolize on.  changing the zoom perspective after temporary display causes a redisplay and since the objects aren't permanent, they don't display.

Experiment... create objects, the objects display... zoom, objects vanish... save edits... what happens then

Do the same, but save edits "before" changing the zoom ... what happens then

That experiment might help you to develop a pattern of object creation that works for you

... sort of retired...
IlkaIllers1

Would you expect this to happen as well if you didn't create the points? My edits were simply using the field calculator for a newly added field, so the points per se and their geometry didn't change.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

I tried to create a few points and did not use the save option in the edit ribbon, but I am still able to view the features when I zoom in/out.
Without the test scenarios I mentioned in my first response it can be difficult to pinpoint the root cause of the issue, as the symptoms may vary from user to user.

~Shan
0 Kudos