Exported .PNG differs from layout file

10-15-2021 08:16 AM
Ruben
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have created a map together with a layout file. However, when I export the map (png), extra features appear which are not visible in the layout file. See the figures below. Figure 1 is a screenshot of the to be exported layout file and figure 2 is the exported png file. Figure 2 has more pie graphs than figure 1 (which are not even related to a feature in the map). What am I doing wrong?

Figure 1:

layout_file.PNG

Figure 2:

pop_dis.png

Thanks in advance for the answer,

Ruben

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! 

This happens sometimes because of how chart symbology is drawn in the map. The chart symbols are responsive to even incredibly minor changes in extent or scale (ones you likely don't notice), which can cause them to reposition. To get the exact same output you could try a couple things:

- Toggle on or off Clip to Graphics Extent in the export (whichever you are not currently using)

- Try setting a Fixed Extent map frame constraint on the map frame

- Use Capture to Clipboard instead of export. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
Ruben
by
New Contributor II

Thank you for your answer.

Sadly, the first two solutions did not work, I still got the same (distorted) result. The third option is impossible for me to apply, because my ArcGIS Pro lacks the 'output' group under the share tab (see attached figure). Furthermore, the weird thing about it is not the fact that the location of the pie graphs change, but that ArcGIS makes up information about features in the exported PNG. I have only added data about 27 features (since there are 27 EU members) to the map which is properly represented in figure 1 of my original post. However, the exported PNG (figure 2 of original post) shows 32 pie graphs. I just cannot understand where ArcGIS Pro gets the information from to make 5 more pie graphs.

share.PNG

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention the Capture to Clipboard feature is new. I believe it was introduced in 2.8. What version of Pro are you running? Upgrading might fix this issue. 

Cheers,
Aubri
Ruben
by
New Contributor II

Thank you,

Capturing to clipboard indeed solves the problem of features appearing out of nowhere, but sadly, the quality of the map then decreases significantly relative to exporting it to png. Therefore, I am stilll looking for solutions surrounding stopping ArcGIS from making 5 pie graphs based on no data at all when exporting the layout. I have already tried exporting to JPEG, updating, restarting my pc, remaking the layout, remaking the map file itself, redownloading the data, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm sorry Ruben. That is really odd and shouldn't be happening. And unfortunately, I can't reproduce this behavior with my own data.

Could you possibly reach out to technical support and share your workflow? They can log a bug you can track for the right ArcGIS Pro development team to fix. https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

Aubri, this doesn't happen "sometimes", but very often! Obviously, a bug, or more a bugs, in the layout functioning, which ESRI should deal with in detail (eg changes in the size of the legend in export process, rotation of symbols that look normal (horizontal) in the content panel, and rotated in the layout legend (typical for geologic point symbol rotated by attribute values), sometimes ignoring the display only visible in map extent, also in the legend... Find the time, test layouts with various more complex contents/legends, as well as all that exported in .pdf, .png, .jpg.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm sorry your legend experience in Pro is so frustrating. The issues you mention are a little different than this original post, but definitely sound like problems that need to be addressed.  You could reach out to technical support (https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support) who are really good at troubleshooting and logging bugs, or send me a message with more details. Let's see what we can do to make this better. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

@Aubri, Thank you! Instead of any story see attached as doc/prove.

Note, for geologic (point) symbols used Style file and all pictured symbols in are horizontal. For symbols rotation used values in predefined field of feature attribute table. Legend of Geochemistry and Geophysics primary positioned within map frame.

Regards,

Branislav

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

@BranislavBlagojevic I can certainly see the problem. How frustrating!! Unfortunately, issues like this are often related to the exact data, map, and symbology configurations, making them tricky to reproduce. I recommend reaching out to tech support. They can work with you to find a reproducible case that can be passed on to the appropriate development team. https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos