edit auto save

09-11-2020 12:07 PM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I have the setting to save edits automatically every 15 minutes but the save happens much more frequently.  It seems that the timer isn't working correctly.  Has anyone else experienced this behavior?  I'm using 2.6.1.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Josh,

In addition to the Editing option to Automatically save edits, there's a General option for Project Recovery added at version 2.6 that backs up your project every 5 minutes by default. This setting is independent of the Editing options setting. Could that be relevant to your experience?

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

My project recovery setting is set at 5 minutes and my edit auto save is 20 minutes. I just did a quick edit and it was just over 2 minutes before it asked to save edits.  That's way too often.  I would prefer about 15 in most cases, I just kept raising the number trying to see if it would be longer.   

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Josh, I thought there might be an easy answer but evidently not. I checked with a couple of product engineers to confirm there's not a known issue with the auto-save option for edits--which there isn't. Unless someone else has insight to offer here, your best course of action is to contact tech support and see if they can help you troubleshoot it.

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Thanks Tim for trying.  I'm a little surprised that nobody else is having this issue though.  I am not sure it worth my time and effort to contact Support over what amounts to a minor annoyance.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Josh,

If you have a chance, can you please provide us with a screenshot of what you have set in the Options > Editing > Session group?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the screenshot.

I think because you have the option to "Save edits when saving a project" checked on, the Project Recovery save that occurs behind the scenes (mentioned above by Tim) is triggering the save edits dialog to appear whenever a recovery save occurs. For now, perhaps you can turn off the "automatically save edits" option all together since the Project Recovery option is taking care of popping up the save edits dialog.

We will discuss this internally to determine a better user experience for a future release. 

Thanks,

Scott

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I'm confused, why do those two things have anything to do with each other?  They perform different functions.  One for the Pro project and one for saving edits.  I want both features.  Sometimes I make changes to the project without doing any edits for example.  And I have some projects that I don't really care if the project itself is saved (because I'm only editing), but I want to ensure that my edits are autosaved.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Josh,

Yes, I agree it's confusing. Thank you for uncovering the unexpected behavior, and I apologize for the confusion. Like I mentioned above, we are discussing this issue internally to determine a better user experience for a future release.

Thank you,

Scott

0 Kudos