Easiest way to interpolate between to point layers

03-25-2023 08:33 AM
Benni1801
New Contributor II

Hi, so I have two point layers where one is surronding the other and the other one is inside, but there is a gap inbetween and I need to interpolate the gaps both have the same resolution (0,25m). I tried several times, but didnt find any good solution to close the  gap with points where also the z coordinate matched.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try merging the two point files into one layer, then interpolate the result? or is the gap too large

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Benni1801
New Contributor II

that might be complicated as they have different attributes, but I will try that and gett all the coordinates in the same columns.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Merge (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation explains everything through field mapping.

If you are using featureclasses that is.  If they aren't featureclasses but XY data, you can convert it first, via several ways, like

Make XY Event Layer (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

then merge

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Benni1801
New Contributor II

The merging does work however the interpolation is not satisfying, I couldn't find any option to perform f.e. spline etc. only the function "interpolate from point cloud" seems to do what I need. In the results I attached a screenshot of an area that causes trouble, also the interpolation gave back height 0 for the upper part which is supposed to be higher...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

seeing your input points and the extent of the area you are trying to interpolate would be more useful.

If you have a limited number of points and are trying to interpolate into vast open areas due to limited points, your results will be dismal at best

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Benni1801
New Contributor II

Benni1801_0-1679862808009.png

I cant share the data but here is the full extent, grid size is 0.25 m and average distance to interpolate is like 25-30 m. Biggset gap is 50ish

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

what is the width and height? relative to the spacing of the points

how many points in the area? 6? 20? a lot?

if the points are spaced really close relative to the gap size, then don't expect miracles or anything useful even if it gets filled in

Comparing interpolation methods—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

covers the main types of interpolations if your intent is to just fill in gaps

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Benni1801
New Contributor II

height differnce varies from 5 to 0.5 m width is total height differences are 50 m, the total extent is 400 m x 700 m.

There are a lot of points inside every 0.25 m

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

my last post's comments will be relevant then

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos