Datum Transformation cannot be found

Jump to solution
07-07-2021 09:47 PM
AdelmoCos1
New Contributor II

I upgraded ArcGIS Pro from 10.8 to 10.8.1. When opening existing layout  created from ArcGIS Pro 10.8, the message below pop up every time I open up any layout created from older version.  

AdelmoCos1_1-1625718890362.png

I tried to fix the issue but the second transformation shown below cannot be edited.

AdelmoCos1_2-1625719198331.png

Any suggestion to fix the issue would be greatly appreciated. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please check if any layer has a custom (or unknown) spatial reference. This may happen when data is created using any other software.

You may remove the layer or define a standard spatial reference from within ArcGIS Pro (if appropriate). Else, ignore the transformation warning.

You may also navigate to the Project tab > Options > Map and Scene > Spatial Reference and uncheck the box for Warn if transformation between geographic coordinate system is required to align data sources correctly.. See transformation tips in Projection on the fly and geographic transformations 

Think Location

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please check if any layer has a custom (or unknown) spatial reference. This may happen when data is created using any other software.

You may remove the layer or define a standard spatial reference from within ArcGIS Pro (if appropriate). Else, ignore the transformation warning.

You may also navigate to the Project tab > Options > Map and Scene > Spatial Reference and uncheck the box for Warn if transformation between geographic coordinate system is required to align data sources correctly.. See transformation tips in Projection on the fly and geographic transformations 

Think Location
BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

I seem to be newly encountering this error as well after upgrading to Pro 2.8.1.

I am getting the error anytime I open a Portal map with layers publishing in our local projection California State Plane VI within a web map, which to my knowledge when using an Esri basemap always uses Web Mercator auxiliary sphere. However the transformation seemed to be applied without error in the past, is there a new step we should be taking when using Esri basemaps? And if so, what is the best way to correct it?

BrittanyBurson_0-1625851143679.png

BrittanyBurson_1-1625851161227.png

BrittanyBurson_2-1625851417171.png

Apologies if I am missing something... thank you.

TI
by
Occasional Contributor II

Same problem here, with ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1.  (I don't recall this happening on earlier versions, but my use of earlier versions has been very limited - just getting serious about switching from ArcMap now.)

I start with a blank project, create a new map, it automatically assigns our organisation default map (the ESRI standard "Light Gray Canvas" basemap).  We also have ArcGIS Pro configured to use our standard spatial reference system of "GDA 1994 MGA Zone 55", which of course is not the same SRS as the basemap.

So even with no layers added to the map (apart from the basemap), I get this error every time I open a map!

TI
by

The accepted solution doesn't seem to fit my situation where the basemap is a standard ESRI basemap, and the map's spatial reference system is selected from ArcGIS Pro's available SRSs.

BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @TI 

I guess the solution for us is to hide the error... I tried to ask this same question over here.

0 Kudos
TI
by

yeah... disable the incorrect error, so that when we get a legitimate error, we won't know about it.

Tim_Ultee
New Contributor III

I've been getting the same error since 2.8.1, and now on 2.8.2 as well. I agree hiding the error message doesn't make sense. I want to know if I have a legitimate transformation error. That's like saying "your car's low fuel warning light wouldn't shut off, so we just cut the power to it."
I get the error with maps containing ArcGIS Online data in different datums, and on local data maps all using the same projection except for the Esri basemap.

BabakJfard
New Contributor III

This makes me suspicious!! Is it possible that it might affect some analyses packages? I did 'Zonal Statistics as Table' on a raster over North America, and it worked perfectly calculating for all polygons. Last night I updated to 2.8.2 (I think last one was 2.8.0) and since then the very same .shp and Rasters have missing rows in the output table!! I am totally confused. My detailed question is here

JuliaBalakirova1
New Contributor III

So, The statement about turning this off in the Options does not seem to work. It does not work in the 2.9.1 version I am in, and it does not work for the 2.8.2 version my users are in. There is a spot to turn off notifications in the Notifications bar:

Notifications.jpg

What is further annoying is that all files in the same coordinate projection, we get this message every times a Pro project is opened. In the Properties for the map, however, under Transformations, I get the note that "No transformation is required". 

Transformations.PNG

I am about ready to file another ticket with ESRI and try to convince them that this is a pesky bug that has been present in the Desktop software since at least 2.8 version. 

If anybody else has the same No Such Luck turning this off experience, I would recommend to submit ESRI ticket. That's the only way the usually get the memo that something should be looked at.