Creating map of roadways

01-20-2022 11:05 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been given an excel file with attributes including the coordinates of the beginning of roadways and the ends of those roadways. I have been asked to map out these roadways using the coordinates I have been given and I am supposed to include the other attributes. Any ideas on how I can do this would help, thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I like Dan's approach, but more of a one-stop-shop would be:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.8/tool-reference/data-management/xy-to-line.htm

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

for sure, that would be the shortest... but I wasn't sure if the start end points were in the same row in excel or they were different entries.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The start and end points are in separate columns.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That is good then you can use the shortcut tool Adrian suggested.  Hopefully your data are either in decimal degrees or a projected coordinate system.

In either event, you need to define the coordinate system during the process and before you use it in a map.

PS

before you ask... you will get straight lines and they won't follow the actual road! 😉

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do you know if there's a way I could sketch lines on the map then add my attributes from there? Can't think of another solution for roadway mapping.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you post an example of what your table looks like?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your beginning and end coordinates should be in 4 fields not 2

You will have to add 4 new fields, xfrom, yfrom, xto, yto  decimal type.

Then you need to do field calculations

float(!Begin!.split(",")[0])   # for yfrom

float(!Begin!.split(",")[1])  # for xfrom

float(!End!.split(",")[0])   # for yto

float(!End!.split(",")[1])  # for xto

Then proceed from there.  (Sort of thrown into the deep end on this I suspect... make sure you thank the person that gave you the data... suggest that they make the table gis friendly in the future 😉 )

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos