Creating a Backup version of ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3

11-29-2021 01:20 PM
BethHuntone-Duncan
New Contributor

Hello, I'm new to the ESRI community.  I am a Drafter for a Fiber Network company.  We use ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3 version.  We have had problems with our projects blowing up when we restart a project from the Backup version.  This is the Question we get when we first open the software -  "The backup is newer than the saved project.  Would you like to recover your work from the backup?"

Doing a quick search of the online help forum it says a backup folder is created in the project folder.  So I looked and yes there is a backup folder created but nothing is showing in it.  

So my question is why is there no backup being created?  I did check in Options and Yes under General - Project Recovery "Create a backup when the project have unsaved changes" is checked.  Time interval is 5 minutes.

And if we cannot get a backup version generated, will unchecking this option "Create a backup when..." stop that initial question from popping up when you first open the program?  I have informed the other drafters to answer No to this question so project will open from Saved project instead.

Thank you for your help, Beth

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have had the same experience.  I now do a

Project Save

Project Exit

and I haven't seen the warning since.  It might work for you

Reference page, which doesn't really state anything about this, unless you take more than 5 minutes from your last save until you exit

Set general options—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BethHuntone-Duncan
New Contributor

Yes, we are relying on manual Save in each project.  But if the program closes incorrectly or we get knocked out of computer, this question will come up.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No, I have backup set to on, but, the last 2 things I do are Project Save, Project Exit.  I don't Save, then doodle around then exit, 

... sort of retired...