Changing projection issue from degrees to metric system

Jump to solution
01-17-2022 03:25 AM
GiorgosKonstantinidis
New Contributor

Dear all, 

I am currently working on a global raster dataset (GAEZ v4 , for multiple harvested areas) and I am trying to reproject it and clip it on on a specific region. The original data is in WGS 1984 GCS in degrees and the goal is to transform it into GGRS 1987 , Transverse Mercator Greek Grid in a metric system. The problem is that for this original dataset there are certain values accounted in  5-arcminute grid cells (e.g harvested area * 1000ha per 5-arcminute grid cell). When I reproject the data, the size of this 5-arcminute grid cells changes into a square and the values remain the same, which is wrong. Ideally I would like to keep the approximate size of the 5-arcminute grid in meters and not in degrees so that I can calculate these areas (5-arcminute grid cells) in square meters. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

arc products only use square cells, you should read this to determine an appropriate raster cell size during the projection process

How the Cell Size Projection Method environment setting works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Cell Size Projection Method (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Cell Size (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
GiorgosKonstantinidis
New Contributor

Ok! this was helpful.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will try to figure this out !

0 Kudos