Cannot Clone Environment ArcGIS Pro 3.0

06-24-2022 03:52 PM
DimasUga
New Contributor

permissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\Python\\envs\\arcgispro-py3\\etc\\jupyter\\jupyter_notebook_config.json'

return code: 1

()

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you using the package manager to clone?

Do you have admin rights on your machine?

What is the path you are trying to clone to?

... sort of retired...
mabdulhadi
New Contributor

Running ArcGIS Pro as an administrator helped me.

Danvey
by
New Contributor II

Did you ever solve this? I am receiving the same error.

0 Kudos
Danvey
by
New Contributor II

I opened an instance of the jupyter notebook prior to cloning the environment and that worked for me.

DMOB17
by
New Contributor II

I had this same error.

Before anyone having this error tries to completely uninstall and reinstall ArcGIS Pro (which is likely what tech support will ask you to do and won't work) I'd recommend cloning your default environment directly from the python command prompt. It's easy and just takes a minute. Simply run your python command prompt as an administrator by going to Start>ArcGIS>Python Command Prompt. Once running you will see your active Python environment listed. 

Simply enter 

conda create --clone <environment to clone>  --name <new environment name>

for your <environment to clone> value, just enter the same active python environment that is already listed in the command prompt (ex: arcgispro-py3)

You can name your new environment whatever you'd like to call it.  

press enter and wait while this new environment clones. Hopefully you will be able to successfully clone your default environment this way. When this is done running you can reload Pro and you should see your new environment listed. You can add modules or manipulate this environment as needed. You should also be able to clone this new environment directly from Pro moving forward. 

Hopefully this helps.

I'm not sure what I did with Jupyter Notebook that messed things up but since cloning a Python environment is something I hardly ever do, this workaround is fine for me. 

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000020560

JohnZastrow
New Contributor III

@DMOB17 , Thanks. This worked for me. Except it cloned it right back into C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\clone1_arcgispro_py3 

I preferred it when it tried to clone it to C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\clone1_arcgispro_py3. From the command line I get the following:

CondaValueError: Invalid environment name: 'C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone'
  Characters not allowed: ('/', ' ', ':', '#')

😓

0 Kudos
ColinEdgar
New Contributor

you can clone wherever you want by using -p instead of --name

conda create --clone <environment to clone>  -p <new environment path>

KrOstir
New Contributor

I am not sure if this is the solution, but I managed to clone the environment before opening any project in ArcGIS. Just go to Settings at the startup screen, choose Package Manager and cloning works (at least for me).

Chris_Kell
New Contributor III

It works, thanks!

0 Kudos