Calculate field

08-11-2022 06:39 AM
Labels (2)
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

In arcmap, calculate field is very fast.  I'm the only one who have to wait forever to let pro do the same calculations?

By example, I have a table with 44 entry.  Try to put 0 in the field rotation.  The same calculation in arcmap, in basic, take seconds (less than 30s)  but in Pro, after 20 min, still running with python or arcade.

What's strange is when I have to kill Pro, to continue working, the field is populated like if the geo processing is stuck.

Verry frustrating.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That sounds like a bug, to be honest. Normally a simple field calculation like that is near-instantaneous in Pro for me.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried to run this operation in Pro on more than one computer? Do you have any other quirks in Pro that might indicate a clean install would be in order? (Machine or install test)

Have you tried to run this operation in Pro on a brand new project? (Project corruption test)

Maybe you can copy the data itself to a new source and see if the operation runs faster. (Data source corruption test)

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Other tests to try/consider as my field calculations using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 and 3.0 are fast.

1. Is the data local on disk or on a shared network drive.  Test local if the data is on a network.
  2. Rename the Esri folder in your C:/users/<user_profile>/appdata/local and C:/users/<user_profile>/appdata/roaming to Esri_old.  Restart ArcGIS Pro and try field calculation again.
  3. Maybe the feature class is corrupt - run the Repair Geometry GP tool to see if there's an issue with the data.
  4. Is the data in a shapefile or fGDB format?
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Robert:

When you say "my field calculations using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 and 3.0 are fast."  As these operations fast both locally and across a network or is there a big difference for you between these two scenarios?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Michael - my field calculations are local on disk and not on a network.  Network bandwidth can affect ArcGIS Pro performance but I wouldn't think 20 minutes of lag/delay.  In addition, I do my field calculations on fGDBs and eGDBs without latency (again, local on disk).  I do not have access to a network drive for further testing.  Is your data in question local on disk or a shared network drive?

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Data are in FGDB stores in local HD.  For me, the Calculated in Pro is always a pain in...  v2 or v3 doesn't change anything.  The window still open until I kill Pro to see the result.  Like Pro (3,0,0) , for me, can't know the calculations is finished when I'm in a project.  

Finally, stop using pro to do calculation.  Made in 15 min all my calculations in arcmap on 8 fields where it's impossible in my project with Pro.  Same data, the same location.

Try something to do a calculation in Pro for the same data but in a blank project.  Work fine, faster than arcmap.  I think the problem is that when you have a project (many maps, many layouts) pro is not made for that.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Marcel:

Have you thought about just having a GIS processing Pro project with a minimal amount of maps and layouts where you can perform faster processing than in ArcMap.  Then just have data connections to the processed data in your Pro projects where you have layouts.

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Sorry,

We use ESRI for doing mapping.  Unfortunately, we have hundred of maps.  Some projects have tens of map an others hundred.  The problem is always the same.  Pro is very slower than arcmap for doing calculations or geoprocessing.  

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1

I have the same problem.  Only sometimes it hangs forever, other times its just 'reasonably' slow.  Data set is on a network.

0 Kudos