Building a Map Book with a changing data layer

Jump to solution
08-11-2022 09:28 AM
TylerVeinot-DFO
New Contributor
I'm in Arc Pro and I have about 100 raster layers and I need each one in it's own map. Each map has the same scale and coverage and the rasters are all the same with in terms of size, datatype, cell size, etc... each raster is showing a monthly snapshot of the same data. I setup the series, and set the page query on the layer but I cannot figure out how to link the page query from my index layer to the raster layer I want in that map. I also cannot find a help document on doing this can someone point me in the right spot or tell me how I do this?

I am new and I posted this question accidently in the wrong spot; sorry bad navigation. Couldn't find the delete post option so it is still there.... 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tyler, 

Though there is no UI for this you can use ArcPy.mp (python) to create a thematic map series. There is a sample available at https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=eba53351ceb84b58b505dec5272e526c.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Tom 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tyler, 

Though there is no UI for this you can use ArcPy.mp (python) to create a thematic map series. There is a sample available at https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=eba53351ceb84b58b505dec5272e526c.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Tom 

TylerVeinot-DFO
New Contributor

Using this as a reference I managed to make a custom export script that seems to work. There is still a lot of setup time but at least I don't have to make a new map for each layer.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So its my understanding that a map book isn't suitable for your project if you want it to cycle through layers instead of layouts/extents. I've tried before too.

A Map Book Series can only interate through multiple layouts connected to the same map/data. It just cycles through map extents...

I recommend create a python script to cycle through changing your raster data sources and exporting a pdf map through each new raster layer.  A place to start is connectionProperties.  A close example (but Highly advance).  Or maybe  addDataFromPath method.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wait I did find something that might help. In the ESRI fire book map solutions package there is a code for ReplaceLayers.py.  Its a pre written code of what I was talking about before. Might be only suitable for file geodatabases but its a base for you to work with.