Best practices for Clipping data from Living atlas

Jump to solution
09-14-2021 08:30 PM
DanielPhillipsTTU
New Contributor III

Hi All, 

I'm trying to do something that I think seems straightforward and simple.  I want to clip a portion of a living atlas layer (which I've loaded onto my map in arcgis Pro), using a study area boundary polygon (that I've custom defined and also added to the map). I usually use the "extract by mask" tool to do this to a raster dataset, or "clip raster".  However, when I attempt to run either of these to a living atlas layer, it seems to take forever.  I've tried letting it run, but for some reason it yields a huge file (8gb?) for a 2000 acre study area. Obviously I'm doing something wrong?  I know the living atlas layer often represents an entire continent/planet of imagery so they must be huge.  But what is the best practice for actually extracting useful pieces from it for analysis?  

Please advise. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RajinderNagi
Esri Contributor

@DanielPhillipsTTU , I tried clip raster and extract by mask tool at my end on elevation aspect map layer and in both tools, symbology was preserved (Pro 2.7.1). Not sure which version of Pro you are using. Regarding processing templates, those are server-side raster functions and will no longer be preserved once you clipped a portion out (saved raster on your disk). Hope it helps!

0 Kudos