Best Practice for Multiple Users and Single-Use License

11-29-2021 06:11 AM
PatrickMcKinney99
Occasional Contributor

My organization is considering converting our concurrent-use licenses to single-use licenses.  However, we're not sure how we will deal with our desktop extensions (i.e. spatial analyst).  The decision is being made to free-up more ArcGIS Online users, as we will get 3 single-use licenses for each concurrent license.  

Does anyone have ideas for how to approach this?  Two we have are 1) keep a few concurrent desktop licenses and keep the extensions as concurrent licenses; 2) stand-up a shared workstation that has the single-use desktop and extension licenses.

Thanks for any insights!

--- Patrick

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Why are you moving away from Concurrent-Use to Single-Use licensing?  Knowing that might help inform people's feedback.

0 Kudos
PatrickMcKinney99
Occasional Contributor

The decision is being made to free-up more ArcGIS Online users, as we will get 3 single-use licenses for each concurrent license.  

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is this ArcMap? Sounds to me like a good time to migrate to Pro so you can assign extension licenses more flexibly from named users!

0 Kudos
PatrickMcKinney99
Occasional Contributor

We will providing our users with both ArcMap and ArcPro early next year.  Do you have links to any docs related to assigning extra licenses you referenced?  I haven't heard about that, and it may solve our problem. Thanks!

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
ArcPro licenses are best assigned from named users unless you want to share a limited number of extension licenses among users, if that is the case I recommend sticking with concurrent for your Pro licenses. I don’t know anything about the extra licenses you are talking about
0 Kudos