Assistance with making a selection in an attribute table from an imported csv file

Jump to solution
08-11-2022 06:09 PM
JasonRamsay
New Contributor

Hi there,

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.0 and I'm attempting to export a number of property boundaries from a very large dataset. I have the addresses of the properties I need to export in csv format; however, using the select by attributes tool and manually selecting each property would be extremely tedious. I don't have much experience with relates, but if my understanding is correct, this would also be difficult as I would have to assign a shared OID to each of the properties.

I've tried searching for an alternative way to select each property I need, but have been unable to find anything. Could someone please give me a suggestion as to how I might use the addresses in my csv spreadsheet to select the corresponding addresses in the attribute table of the shapefile?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

you could try Add Join (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation for a temporary join or

Join Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation for a permanent join

The information with matching addresses would then have joined information.

Fields in the joined table that are not Null are the ones you want and those that don't are not the ones you want.  You could query (select by attributes) one of those fields for not Null

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

are they associated with a few street names? anything spatial that can be used?

Do you have a street/road file?

Perhaps you need to provide a key to any commonality that the properties share to limit the search criteria (like show a portion of the table information you have)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JasonRamsay
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response. I'll give some clarification. Each property has the same address in both tables. So, I could simply take the addresses from the csv spreadsheet and put them through the select by attributes tool to select the appropriate property in the properties shapefile. However, due to the large number of properties I need to select, this approach would take a very long time. I was wondering whether there is a way to automate this process.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

you could try Add Join (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation for a temporary join or

Join Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation for a permanent join

The information with matching addresses would then have joined information.

Fields in the joined table that are not Null are the ones you want and those that don't are not the ones you want.  You could query (select by attributes) one of those fields for not Null

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JasonRamsay
New Contributor

That worked perfectly! Thank you!

0 Kudos