ArcGIS Pro: Interactive Cut and Fill Exploratory Analysis Tool

01-25-2023 04:34 PM
janderson_ksninc
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to find someone who really knows how to use this tool (because I do not). I've called tech support and got someone who knew less than nothing about the tool and have read the documentation for the tool but I'm still not getting my issue resolved. 

I am trying to get an estimate of how much ground material would need to be removed to cut a side channel out the existing terrain. I have two polygons that represent the proposed side channel locations. I selected the ArcGIS Pro: Interactive Cut and Fill Exploratory Analysis Tool and used the Interactive Polygon method and drew a rough boundary around the side channel polygons and set the elevation. When I review the results, I only see the gray areas representing no change and not the the cut (magenta) and fill (green) sections.

Am I missing a step? Please help!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NathanShephard
Esri Contributor

Hi Janderson,

Sorry you've been having trouble getting your use-case to work. I'm not exactly certain of your workflow so figured I would put together a few videos to show the main points.

The way it works:

• It calculates the volume between the [plane you move up and down] and [an elevation surface]
  • The surface needs to be the current terrain situation
  • The plane is where you want to surface to be after the change
    • It doesn't have to be horizontal

Fake scenario - taking out dirt to build a bridge over a waterway

Video 1 - interactive creation

• Activate the tool, use the Polygon option, choose the 'Ground' elevation surface
    • Which is using a local elevation raster (tif file) in the area-of-interest
  • Click on the ground surface to digitize in the cut shape
  • The first click sets the elevation for all the other vertices (ie: it is flat / horizontal)
  • Drag it up/down - the 'Cut' value is the only one that matters

Video 2 - using a polygon feature (in the 2D draped category)

• Activate the tool, use the From Layer option, choose the 'Ground' elevation surface
  • Set the polygon layer name - ie: 'Test_CutFill'
    • Note - I've already selected the polygon feature (and it is 'draped' on the ground surface)
  • The polygon centroid sets the elevation for all the other vertices (ie: it is flat / horizontal)

Video 3 - using a polygon feature (in the 3D vector category)

• Move the polygon layer into the 3D (vector) category
    • Note - the polygon has its own z-values
  • Use the Layer option again (same parameters - 'Ground' elevation surface and 'Test_CutFill' layer)
    • Note - the polygon feature is still selected
  • The polygon's z-values set the elevation (we want it to be planar, but it doesn't have to be flat)
    • Video 4 shows a planar-but-tilted 3D polygon

My guess at your issue is that you're not referencing an elevation surface (as the base terrain) in the expected manner, but it's hard to be sure. Hopefully the videos help.

Thanks!

-Nathan

NathanShephard
Esri Contributor

Extra note - I was just reminded of a bug where the feedback colors might not display in "global" scene viewing mode. You could try switching to "local" viewing mode (in the View category on the very left side of the View ribbon) to see if that helps.

Thanks,

-Nathan.

0 Kudos