ArcGIS Pro adds HTML Tags to all map/layer descriptions when publishing

10-22-2021 04:57 AM
BledarBirbo
New Contributor III

We are having an issue where all our mapservices layer descriptions are enclosed in HTML tags like this:

Description: <DIV STYLE="text-align:Left;font-size:12pt"><P><SPAN>This layer comprises the findings ....

We cannot find a way how to disable this.

I think this started happening after upgrading to arcgis pro 2.8.1 

We are using Arcgis porta/server 10.8.1

Anyone has any idea how to resolve this ?

11 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@BledarBirbo 

I haven't heard of this, but there is a Portal for ArcGIS Security 2021 Update 1 Patch for portal 10.8.1

https://support.esri.com/en/download/7899 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
MarcusT
New Contributor II

@BledarBirbo @ABishop Did this patch solve the problem? We are also having this issue. 

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I haven't heard back from @BledarBirbo 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hello,

I don't have too much information on this. But I can confirm that this behavior is expected. The workaround would be to remove the text in the description field prior to publishing. You can fill in the description on the portal item details through the web browser.

Thanks,

Jonah

0 Kudos
MarcusT
New Contributor II

Hello, 

@JonahLay wrote:

You can fill in the description on the portal item details through the web browser.

It's not the description for the portal item, it's about the description field for each layer in the map service. 

BledarBirbo
New Contributor III

I think the HTML tags are added to the description of each layer whenever the text contains new lines (example if you hit enter)

ArcGIS Pro should have an option to remove html tags before publishing.

MarcusT
New Contributor II

I tried to only have "test" in the description field and it didn't work. 

<DIV STYLE="text-align:Left;font-size:12pt"><P><SPAN>test</SPAN></P></DIV>

cbp-geus
Occasional Contributor II

We are also encounting this problem and haven't found a way to remove it. It's a problematic issue that is causing a mess in the GetCapabilities info of the hosted service.

<Abstract>
<![CDATA[ <DIV STYLE="text-align:Left;font-size:12pt"><P><SPAN>

2022-08-29_08-53-16.png

Christian Brogaard Pedersen
0 Kudos
cbp-geus
Occasional Contributor II

We have found an workaround for this issue which is unfortunately time consuming as every layer has to be updated with this method.

The workaround is to select the affected map or layer in the Catalog View and do an Export of the metadata to an xml file. We used the FGDC CSDGM format. Then do an Import for the same affected map / layer with the exported file and republish the service.

After this we could confirm that the issue with the HTML TAG disappeared from the map service.

2022-08-29_11-51-29.png

Christian Brogaard Pedersen
Tags (2)