ArcGIS pro 3.0 Append

Jump to solution
06-30-2022 02:12 PM
RyanTucker
New Contributor III

For some reason Append in the latest update, 3.0,  is no longer letting me remove fields. Nor is it allowing me to set the globalID as type GUID. Anyone else having this issue? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RyanTucker
New Contributor III

Just heard back from Tech support , see below:

• Bug Id: BUG-000151141
  • Synopsis: Append tool does not allow modifying the field mapping

View solution in original post

RyanTucker
New Contributor III

Oh well according to the dev team this is "As Designed". 

Someone at ESRI explain how are we to maintain globalids if we want to dump our existing data into a new empty schema if we cant change the globalID field  to type guid under the append tool??

"When "use the field map to reconcile field differences" is selected in the Append tool for ArcGIS Pro 3.0, users are unable to modify the existing schema of the target dataset in the Field Map control. This is as-designed. Prior to ArcGIS Pro 3.0, the Field Map control gave the incorrect impression that fields could be added/removed and modified in the Append tool, but when the tool was actually run, these changes would not be reflected in the updated target dataset. This is because the schema of the target dataset is locked. Users are still able to specify input sources to map to target fields (i.e. reconcile field differences) that are present in the existing schema. In ArcMap the controls to add/remove fields in the Field Map for the Append tool are disabled for this same reason. The change to the Pro 3.0 Append Field Map control was done to give an accurate representation of what could be accomplished in the tool. Documentation for Pro 3.0 states that "Because the data of the input datasets is written to an existing target dataset that has a predefined schema (field definitions), the Field Map parameter does not allow fields to be added or removed from the target dataset" (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/append.htm). This has not changed from earlier versions of Pro. For example refer to archived 2.6 documentation at https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.6/tool-reference/data-management/append.htm. We will further review the documentation to ensure all tool capabilities are properly communicated. The Merge tool is recommended for combining multiple input datasets with the ability to modify existing fields.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Append (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

What are the dialog settings? Field mapping settings?

Did you try Merge so see if it works?  Although not an alternative to Append, it will provide an alternate check to validating the two data sets.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LukeGilner1
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I am seeing the same thing since upgrading to 3.0.  I also want to set the globalID as a GUID type, but all the properties are greyed out.

LukeGilner1_0-1658409885242.png

@DanPatterson this is not the case with the Merge tool.  The properties are still available to adjust.

RyanTucker
New Contributor III

Same issue as Luke. Guess I'll contact tech support. 

0 Kudos
RyanTucker
New Contributor III

@LukeGilner1 Just wanted to drop a note that I had a chat with a tech analyst this morning about this issue, and he's looking into it. If I get a bug number or solution Ill let you know.

0 Kudos
RyanTucker
New Contributor III

Just heard back from Tech support , see below:

• Bug Id: BUG-000151141
  • Synopsis: Append tool does not allow modifying the field mapping
RyanTucker
New Contributor III

Oh well according to the dev team this is "As Designed". 

Someone at ESRI explain how are we to maintain globalids if we want to dump our existing data into a new empty schema if we cant change the globalID field  to type guid under the append tool??

"When "use the field map to reconcile field differences" is selected in the Append tool for ArcGIS Pro 3.0, users are unable to modify the existing schema of the target dataset in the Field Map control. This is as-designed. Prior to ArcGIS Pro 3.0, the Field Map control gave the incorrect impression that fields could be added/removed and modified in the Append tool, but when the tool was actually run, these changes would not be reflected in the updated target dataset. This is because the schema of the target dataset is locked. Users are still able to specify input sources to map to target fields (i.e. reconcile field differences) that are present in the existing schema. In ArcMap the controls to add/remove fields in the Field Map for the Append tool are disabled for this same reason. The change to the Pro 3.0 Append Field Map control was done to give an accurate representation of what could be accomplished in the tool. Documentation for Pro 3.0 states that "Because the data of the input datasets is written to an existing target dataset that has a predefined schema (field definitions), the Field Map parameter does not allow fields to be added or removed from the target dataset" (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/append.htm). This has not changed from earlier versions of Pro. For example refer to archived 2.6 documentation at https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.6/tool-reference/data-management/append.htm. We will further review the documentation to ensure all tool capabilities are properly communicated. The Merge tool is recommended for combining multiple input datasets with the ability to modify existing fields.

LukeGilner1
Occasional Contributor

@RyanTucker thanks for following up with this and keeping us updated.

This is frustrating!  Prior to 3.0 this was a great way to maintain the GlobalID when moving data to another layer.  It wasn't altering the schema at all, but allowing you to keep the GlobalID.  Now the GlobalID is acting more like the useless ObjectID when trying to maintain a unique ID when moving data to a different layer.

0 Kudos
RyanTucker
New Contributor III

@LukeGilner1 

Exactly.

Now we get to go through many more steps to maintain something as simple as an attachment or relationship if we want to dump existing data with globalids into a new schema.   It's beyond frustrating.

JosephHilliard94
New Contributor III

Any update on BUG-000151141? Thanks for raising all, it's a huge pain for our team at the moment, I cannot understand why the workaround for a bug was removed.

0 Kudos