Appending from a feature class to another removes spaces in string attribute?

Jump to solution
03-21-2023 05:33 PM
DanielLane
New Contributor

I am trying to append a select query to an empty feature table, when I do this the string field (Species Name) has the spaces removed and is all lower case?

Original data (SpeciesName):

DanielLane_0-1679444917906.png

After append to existing table the data looks like this:

DanielLane_1-1679445080195.png

I have tried this with other string fields and the result is the same for all.

What can I do to fix this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Is there a domain? If you edit the data, do you get a drop-down  or is it open text?

If there is a domain, it's likely that the domain values are being passed. Coded domain values can't have special characters, including spaces, and are generally shown in tables using their domain label. 

You can use Arcade expressions to choose whether the labels or values are shown (e.g. in pop-ups) but I don't think it can be used in the append tool.

You may be able to fix it by applying the same domain to the destination field. If the tables are in the same geodatabase, they can use the same domain list, to help ensure the values are aligned.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/create-modify-and-delete-do...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Is there a domain? If you edit the data, do you get a drop-down  or is it open text?

If there is a domain, it's likely that the domain values are being passed. Coded domain values can't have special characters, including spaces, and are generally shown in tables using their domain label. 

You can use Arcade expressions to choose whether the labels or values are shown (e.g. in pop-ups) but I don't think it can be used in the append tool.

You may be able to fix it by applying the same domain to the destination field. If the tables are in the same geodatabase, they can use the same domain list, to help ensure the values are aligned.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/create-modify-and-delete-do...

DanielLane
New Contributor

Yes, that was it!!!

Thankyou