Adding fields to Raster attribute tables

11-29-2021 07:58 AM
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor

It seems is no longer possible (it was in ArcMap) to Add field to Raster Attribute tables, except through the Add Field geoprocessing tool.

The Add field button in the table window is inactive and it shows the message "This command is currently unavailable. The project has unsaved edits or the table or its schema is read only".

AddField.jpg

My opinion is that in ArcGIS Pro ArcGIS raster table schema is inactive by default.

Can anyone confirm (or deny) this?

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and it's the same in 2.9

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

see if this updates the situation

Build Raster Attribute Table (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor

nothing changes with Build Raster Attribute table, neither with, nor without the Overwrite parameter

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I checked this, in Pro 2.8. It looks like you have an Esri Grid (the OID tipped me off); the raster table is an INFO table. It appears the Add Field button does not work with Esri Grid tables. Funny, because you can edit the INFO table contents!

If you convert the raster to .tif (I recommend this) or FGDBR you can add a field from the attribute view. However (interestingly) the Add Field tool works fine to add fields to an Esri Grid INFO table.

0 Kudos
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor

Thanks curtvprice, but my files are tif rasters, and the Add field button doesn't work.

Are your able to use it with your files?

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Add Field button worked fine for me with a raster .tif table. I would make sure you don't have an edit session open. It's possible file naming is an issue, and there are so many things that can make a layer non editable and it is sometimes not easy to diagnose!  Try the Add Field tool maybe you'll get a useful error message.

0 Kudos
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor

Thanks  curtvprice, no edit session open, no messages when I use the Add Field Tool.

Do you think the problem (for the Add field command unavailable in the table view) could be the file naming?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

integer raster, it works from the toolbox, not the table.  Pro 2.9

Path and filename are short and checked.  

integer_raster.png

BUT

Build raster attribute table

Go to Fields View

Add field

image_raster2.png

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe a 2.9 bug?

0 Kudos