Buffer and then dissolve into multiple polygons (using the Explode tool)

12-15-2022 04:48 PM
Labels (1)
MichelleWilliamsERM
Occasional Contributor III

Hello, Esri would you add another choice to the dissolve dropdown?

Dissolve output features into multiple features. (You can use the explode tool behind the scenes)

MichelleWilliamsERM_0-1671151389159.png

7 Comments
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor

Is the default option "No Dissolve" what you need - individual buffers even if they may overlap?

MichelleWilliamsERM

Thank you for asking, I could have added more images to be clearer.

I need each polygon as its own record (like below).

But the only options are dissolving all polygons into one record or leaving individual overlapping buffers (mine are points with 50-foot buffers).

My workflow is to create Buffers and Dissolve them into one record, then go to Edit | Explode to make them into multiple records. It would be nice to get the option inside the buffer tool.

MichelleWilliamsERM_0-1671209605151.png 

MichelleWilliamsERM_1-1671209640809.png

DanLee

After you get the buffer output as one feature, use Multipart To Singlepart tool to turn them into individual features.

DanLee

I have brought your request to our team's attention. Let's hope more users vote for this idea.  🙂

BarryNorthey

In the meantime, could you not export the necessary code from Model Builder (for us poor coders) or build a Task if this is something you do often.

MargaretCrawford
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Rich_VanB

I noticed the same effect in ArcGIS Online. Checking the "Dissolve" option when creating buffers leads to the creation of a single multipart feature that includes non-overlapping buffered regions as well as dissolved overlapping buffers.

The trick to correcting this lies with a two-step process. Run buffers and choose the "Overlap" option under "Overlap Policy". This retains all individual records. Then take the output layer and run it through the "Dissolve Boundaries". Here, however, you are presented with the following options:

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 1.09.37 PM.png

By turning off "Create multipart features", you get a dissolve on overlapping features and retain single records for non-overlapping features. Though the workflow here is for ArcGIS Online, adding a similar set of sliders to the Buffers tool in ArcGIS Pro (and within the "Create Buffers" tool in AGOL) would be incredibly helpful. As the image above suggests, clearly the code is available to do so.