Arcscan and Raster Clean Up support in ArcGIS Pro

10-20-2017 03:25 AM
Labels (1)
PietGerrits
New Contributor II

For digitizing images, maps and drawings, the raster clean up and Arcscan toolbar functions are a very useful tool to have and it can automate many line features. Unfortunately, I could not find this functionality in ArcGIS Pro, and very much hope that we will build in, in the future. 

15 Comments
Robert_LeClair

Piet - in ArcGIS Pro 2.4, there is now a Batch mode for ModelBuilder.  Right click on the menu and select Batch from the Context Menu.

ChrisShaffer

Yes, please! I can never seem to get ArcScan to work the same way in ArcMap. It works great one time and doesn't work at all the next even with the same data.

SimonWoo

The Pixel Editor Tools have been added to Pro 2.4.  It has much more robust tools than the Raster Clean Up tools had.  If there is a particular task\tool missing from the Pro Pixel Editor toolbar, please let us know.  

Thanks!

Simon W

GailMorrison

Is ArcScan working correctly in Pro now?  12/30/2020

Alena
by

ArcScan is retired😞...https://support.esri.com/en/Products/legacy-products/legacy-products/ArcScan/10-4#product-support. From an Esri Moderator, "There are many free 3rd party software packages that to be honest, do a better job." 

PietGerrits

@Alena that is unfortunate to hear. It is/was a very convenient toolbar. Any idea perhaps what is meant by those 3rd party software packages? I would still be very happy to hear about any possible alternatives. For some of my raster alteration I moved to QGIS; the Serval Plugin does a great job of changing raster values quickly (but still is lacking in features compared to Arcscan).  

Dlewis
by

Would very much like to have the ability to generate features from my georeferenced raster images in Pro. My work at times requires plans to be georeferenced and the images turned into feature classes using the generate features tool. 

mmarkovic

It would be very useful to have this tool in ArcGIS Pro. The Pixel Editor may replace the Raster Clean up tool but there is still no automatic vectorization.

JoabelBarbieri

ArcScan is such a great tool that PRO won't be complete without it ! Please ESRI make it available in PRO

AmberWittner

The Esri User Community needs ArcScan capability inside of ArcGIS Pro, period. Federal agencies, such as USGS, BLM, NPS and USFS have massive archives of historic maps, made in previous eras of GIS Technology. Hard copy maps, some even hand made, that need to be digitized/vectorized as part of the Federal Government's new congressional requirement to maintain geospatial information as an asset. Vector data...is the topic here. NOT Imagery. Esri presented on these new laws, focused on open data, FAIR principles and data for decision making, to its Federal User Community here: https://www.esri.com/about/newsroom/announcements/2019-esri-federal-gis-conference-highlights/ . 

Asking and expecting users to use a third party vectorization platform, when prior versions of the ArcGIS Platform had direct support for this need - makes Esri look very lazy. Additionally, when using a 3rd party application for vectorization, more often than not the data must be re-georeferenced back in Pro, after having exported it for use in 3rd party software in the first place. 

Not having ArcScan capability within Pro is a massive set back to meeting these 2019 congressional act requirements. Tax payer dollars should not be spent on having to cross walk rasterized maps, to vector, using a multi-pronged approach, with duplication of effort. 

If Esri wants to kill ArcMap, successfully, implement ArcScan in ArcGIS Pro.