Insert | Text and/or Text Element Properties to support text wrapping

08-31-2011 09:12 PM
Labels (1)
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III

If you use the Rectangle Text tool from the Draw toolbar to insert a text element then the text element created will support text wrapping.

However, if you use Insert | Text to insert a text element then the text element created will NOT support text wrapping.

Neither type of inserted text element has a property to toggle text wrapping on or off.

I've created quite a few text elements using the Insert | Text method because that is the method closer at hand when authoring maps and inserting all the other map surround elements.  However, I've always been disappointed that these test elements did not support text wrapping.  Now that I've become aware that the Rectangle Text tool supports this, I have the onerous task of creating new text elements and copying text into them.  It would be much easier to just hit a checkbox and have text wrapping turned on.

9 Comments
JurajKrumpolec
Switch between all types of texts - simple text, frame based texts (rectangle, polygon, circle) and line based texts would also be handy as requested in Layout Text Enhancements. Basic and natural features must certainly be missing in ArcGIS, as usual.
AmySteiger
At the moment, when I have a large block of text to add to a map layout (such as a comment, description or note about the map), after adding a text box, if I copy and paste the text that I need from somewhere else, it will all appear on the one line, and I need to go through manually and line by line adjust my text to make it fit into the area I need it to.

For example: in the text box below, I have had to manually add an "Enter" after each line so that it spreads my text out across multiple lines rather than one super long line.

0EM30000000Cwb9
DavidBarnes
Are the area text tools not working for this? You can draw a rectangle, circle, or polygon with the area text tools on the Draw toolbar and the text will flow within that. With the area text tools you can also define margins and columns and such. Make sure you use the text tools, not the graphics tools.
CarrieDavis
Adding text that flows within a graphic using the Drawing toolbar.

ArcGIS online link to documentation:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/that_flows_within_a_graphic/00s8000000...
NoelWIlson1

Currently in ArcMap 10 when you need to add dynamic text to a legend, such as the document path, there is no tool or ability to truncate the size to fit an established width.  Our users need the ability to input the document path name into a template and have it fit.  Some of the path names could be 40-60 characters. Without going through the hoops of creating a text box or object, opening up Document properties, copying the document path name, pasting it into the text box and then playing with the spacing until it reaches the perfect width, there should be a way to utilize dynamic text, for anything, but have it be a specified width, font, etc.  Also, utilizing another persons idea of having it be a button would allow for some scripting or programming to occur outside the schema.  You could apply python scripting to the button to pull the filePath and update automatically on your map.  It should also be able to work for Data Driven Pages.

GraemeBrowning
Here is an ArcGIS Idea that might make it easier to switch between the less useful default under Insert and the highly useful but cryptic alternative on the Draw toolbar: https://community.esri.com/ideas/4194
KariBuckvold
It would be nice to be able to truncate the file path using something like this:

where: <dyn type="document" property="path"/>

equals text: //server/project/task/GIS/mapfile/category/MXDname.mxd

adding a format tag would allow for this:

where:  <dyn type="document" property="path" format = "mid(path,23,254)"/>

equals text: GIS/mapfile/category/MXDname.mxd

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Under Consideration

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: In Product Plan