ArcGIS Pro Roadmap - July 2022

06-28-2022 01:12 PM

ArcGIS Pro Roadmap - July 2022

ArcGIS Pro 3.0 was released on June 23, 2022. For information on the latest updates, please see the ArcGIS Pro 3.0 Release Notes.

Our goal is to build the best GIS software available. This ArcGIS Pro Roadmap* gives you a sneak peek of what we're focusing on for the near, mid and long-term of ArcGIS Pro development. This gives our current estimate of when each capability will be released. Some new capabilities will be made available for testing through Early Adopters Programs prior to a release. We'll revise the roadmap throughout the year to ensure it reflects the latest information.

What would you like to see next in ArcGIS Pro? Share your ideas in the ArcGIS Pro Idea Exchange. See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.0  for customer ideas that were included in this release.

* Capabilities on this roadmap are tentative and subject to change, delay, or cancellation. The continued development or release of a capability is at the sole discretion of Esri.

ArcGIS Pro July 2022 Roadmap.jpg

Near-Term (next release or two)

Projects in the Enterprise - Use your Portal to share projects, collaborate and work more effectively with others in your organization.

Reality Mapping Extension - Capture and analyze 3D data from aerial, drone, and ground-based sensors in an automated end-to-end process. Support for professional photogrammetry workflows improved precision, speed. Transform imagery and lidar data into point clouds, phototextured 3D meshes, and true orthos. 

Provenance in Knowledge Graphs - Support provenance for property values of Entities in Knowledge Graphs.

Suitability Modeler: Model Comparison – Explores the output suitability and locate maps between different weighting methods or various scenarios. The comparisons will identify where the various maps are similar and where they differ and will quantify the results.

­Scientific Data (DSG) Ingestion– Improve the performance and scalability of multidimensional features such as Discrete Sampling Geometries (DSG) ingest from netCDF file.

Roof Editing - New Roof tools and functionality to be supported only on Local and Global scenes.

Catalog Layers - Working with collections of layers within ArcGIS.

Discard for non-versioned editing – support of workflows similar to those implemented in ArcMap for editing non-versioned data. When implemented, edits against non-versioned data will not be written directly to the database, giving the user the ability to discard edits before committing.

Schema Reporting – tools to generate data model reports and data dictionaries (similar to the ArcMap X-Ray add-in)

ENC Chart Viewing - View Electronic Navigational Charts from formats such as S-57 as layers and change chart display settings.

Parcel Lineage Depiction – depict the parent-child relationship between parcels to support ‘chain of title’ research.

Upsert when loading data - The Append tool will support an “upsert” operation, which refers to updating existing records with new attribute information or geometry and inserting new records, all within the same operation.

Indoor Positioning QA - tools that help our users to increase the IPS resolution. They will be able to analyze their IPS deployments and to improve the bluedot experience.

Time Enabled Scene Layers – Support time for feature-based Scene Layers like 3D Objects, Points and Buildings. 

OAuth 2.0 for external services- Support connecting to external services using OAuth 2.0, like cloud stores and OGC services. 

Additional Deployment Options - Make ArcGIS Pro easier to deploy for IT admins/GIS coordinators by adding additional options that can be configured during deployment.

Knowledge Graph SDK- .NET SDK to customize and enhance Knowledge Graphs. 

Mid-term (next two or three releases)

Timeline View - Visualize your data along a temporal axis. Timelines complement the spatial view of your data on the map by showing where in time your data falls. By plotting your data along a timeline, you can understand the temporal order of your data and discern temporal trends that emerge.

Point Cloud Scene Layer Data Management - Add, Delete, Change very large point cloud services based on references data sources.

Presentations - Create and share a collection of map and scene views along with titles, graphics, and descriptive text as presentations.

Spatio-temporal Density Analysis - Kernel Density will be enhanced to calculate density for observations that changes over space and time.

Suitability Modeler: Additional Weighting - Additional suitability modeling weighting methods such as Pairwise, Generalized Linear regression, Logistic regression, etc. to provide more objective approaches.

Managed Indoor Data Pipeline - Managed indoor data pipelines will consist of a suite of new capabilities aimed at organizations desiring a coordinated control process for managing recurring change to floor plans and other indoor information provided by designers and contractors, or in-house operations teams when new construction, remodeling, or other activities alter source information that must subsequently be reflected in the indoor system of record/engagement.

Roof Editing in Stereo – Tools specifically designed to create and edit pitches, ridge lines, gables and other roof specific features.

64-Bit ObjectID - Enhancing ArcGIS platform ability to work with very large datasets.

Configure chart axes with Arcade expressions - Write an Arcade expression to use a virtual field with on-the-fly calculated values displayed on chart axes.

Layer & Feature effects - Apply visual effects such as blur and drop shadow to layers or a subset of features for emphasis.

Feature Layer Quantity by Category Symbology - Support for “Quantity by category” symbology from ArcMap, including its legend capabilities. This symbology type is a specific combination of unique value symbology and a secondary symbology type (color or graduated symbol variation).

Survey-less Indoor Positioning – Tools to enable indoor positioning without the need of performing an on-site IPS survey. 

Aviation terminal charts – Aviation terminal charts. 

Simulation Modeling - Simulate complex phenomena like airflow and fluid dynamics in 3D/4D based on physical models.

Long-term (in the plan but not assigned to a release at this point)

Share ModelBuilder item to portal - Author a ModelBuilder model in Pro and share it as an item to your portal. You will be able to run and view the model from a browser and download and use the item in Pro projects.

Terrain Editing - Edit features participating in a terrain dataset. Add, remove and replace data referenced by terrains.

Materials Authoring – Author properties on surfaces to support reflectivity, roughness, and other properties for more photo-realistic visualizations in 3D scenes.

High Fidelity Rendering - A series of display improvements to support more photo-realistic 3D scene visualizations.

3D Mesh as Ground - The ability to use integrated mesh or TIN information as a true triangulated ground surface that would be more precise than our raster surfaces and allow structures such as tunnels and mines.

Integrated Mesh Scene Layer Data Management - Add, Delete, Change very large integrated mesh services based on SLPK. 

New Data Types: BigInteger, Timestamp with Time zone - Add support for new data types required for critical user workflows related to time, observation data etc.

Cloud Drive support- Support storage of ArcGIS Pro files and data in common cloud drives like OneDrive and Google Drive.

Comments
Bud

The new "Upserting" enhancement sounds great!

Upsert when loading data -The Append tool will support an “upsert” operation, which refers to updating existing records with new attribute information or geometry and inserting new records, all within the same operation.

Related:
Idea - GP tool to batch-replace geometries from one FC to another (via related IDs)

I'd really like to encourage the development team to move Layer and Feature Effects to the near-term roadmap (please!). Layer effects in Web Maps have really made quite a difference in highlighting key features on the map.

At first I thought it was just a bells and whistles feature but it really makes a huge difference when you add a drop shadow or bloom to a small feature on the map. Our team uses them all the time now.

We're looking to test and possibly adopt this into production.  Does the ArcGIS® 10.8, ArcGIS Pro 2.5, and ArcGIS Earth 1.10 Enterprise Deployment resource still apply to 3.0?  Are there any changes that need to be considered in enterprise deployment?

@AndrewQuee that document is solid for the most part. Do take note of the updated System Requirements for ArcGIS Pro 3.0 which require .NET 6 https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm and Internet Explorer is no longer explicitly included in those requirements.

KoryKramer_0-1657593762893.png

Another change that I believe came after Pro 2.5 is the need to set ACCEPTEULA = YES if deploying through a silent install: 

KoryKramer_1-1657593908559.png

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-installation-administration.htm 

Hope that helps!

Thanks Kory, really appreciate the quick response.  Will pass your advice on to ICT and see how we go - old hands know to treat the .0 releases with the caution they deserve.  "Oh brave new world,
That has such features in’t."😉

No worries, Andrew. Regarding the caution with the major release, we're completely understanding of that and have tried to provide as much helpful information as possible to position our users and organizations for success. Please read https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/announcements/get-ready-for-arcgis-pro-3-0/ and documentation referenced within if you have not yet done so. 

Cheers

Cloud drive support is in ESRI's long term plans for Pro.  Can we as customers get a ballpark idea of the time when this functionality would be fully supported in Pro (e.g 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, etc.)

Can this idea be moved to at least Mid-term as it does seem quite important as the industry is moving more towards cloud storage all the time?

@AmeliaBradshaw @KoryKramer Enjoyed the presentation during the user conference on ArcGIS Pro 3.0.  I know this is a little thing, but wanted to pass along that I really like the search bar added to the Recent Projects, so much so that working in ACAD Civil 3D without a similar tool I find quite cumbersome.  

Glad to hear that @CarlMorrison! Thank you for the positive feedback 🙂

@AndrewQuee Thanks for sharing!  I literally signed on to the ESRI Community regarding a parallel internal workplace issue, so your post, and @KoryKramer's quick response was encouraging.

@KoryKramer  My workplace just transitioned to Pro, but there is an increasing concern for historical delays in receiving software patches/updates due to firewall, engineer testing, approval, etc.  For instance, on 11/10/22, a coworker ran into an issue with Pro crashing. He stated, "Thursday after lunch the software started force closing/crashing every time I tried to change anything with the symbology on my map".  Turns out, an update to Windows .net framework broke a part of Pro 2.9.4 (our current version approved for use).

The two fixes are the 2.9.5 patch or upgrading to 3.0.2.  Word is, Pro 3.0.2 has been undergoing testing for some time and will be pushed to us soon.  Sadly, the patch hasn’t been tested for security vulnerabilities and can’t be installed.  The engineering team added my coworker to the test group for 3.0.2, so we could see if it fixed the issue.  When my coworker installed the new version, it did fix it.

One of my main take-aways from our recent Pro training was how the Pro software is definitely a “work in progress”.  As expected, because it felt eerily similar to our experience through all the stages of ArcGIS Desktop. I felt that transitioning to Pro would also mean our continued responsibility in keeping up with the software updates, as newer and better enhancements seemed part of most users’ questions and ESRI’s answers.  Ironically, I had saved a link to their ‘Product Life Cycle’ chart and shared with my coworkers. Your article will be another tool in our box! 🙂 

Moving forward, curious if you could provide advice towards gaining support of the engineering team providing timely software patches/updates?!?!  Meaning, justification towards a PRIORITY in testing and releasing.  What is the 'typical customer' delay in related work environments?  Is there ESRI customer support to assist with this hurdle?  ANY ideas are welcomed!

For us worker bees, any potential downtime is somewhat concerning in our current staffing situation.  We were flush during the Desktop days, but currently down to bare minimum.  I'd like to bring solutions for this potential problem to the table.  Feel me?   Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you!

I need to know for future planning if this equivalency related issue is anywhere in the future of ArcGIS Pro or not:

Importing a map from ArcMap into Pro has the problem where Pro's import routine does not read graphic objects that were made using ArcMap's Insert->Picture from the menus at the top.  Will Pro ever be able to read & import this type of graphic object? 

I'm at a crossroads where I can either wait/hope for a fix, or start on a time consuming task of manually updating all these Insert -> Picture objects from Map into Pro.

Hi @KeithAddison1 Is what you're describing logged as an issue somewhere that you know of? I just did a quick test of inserting a picture into a map in ArcMap, and then I imported that mxd into Pro and the picture is there - it should come in as part of a Graphics Layer. It sounds like that is not what you are seeing which would indicate this will require some troubleshooting. I'd recommend opening a case with technical support to investigate.

Version history
Last update:
‎07-29-2022 10:50 AM
Updated by: