Divide tool (on polygon) not producing associated COGO boundary lines

Jump to solution
11-16-2022 01:22 PM
AlisonKelsey
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2 to edit parcels in an Enterprise 10.9.1 geodatabase (PostgreSQL 13.5).

When using the divide tool, I select a parcel polygon to divide using the divide tool.  It divides the parcel but no associated boundary lines (COGO) are produced.  Why would this be the case?

Alison

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@AlisonKelsey 

The Divide tool will not divide the lines.

In this example you can see that the lines are not divided:

2022-11-17_9-31-12.png

2022-11-17_9-30-44.png

If you want the lines to be divided you can use the Line Intersection tool after you perform the divide.

Make sure to check the box to recalculate COGO values, then click on the 2 intersecting lines and lastly on the intersecting point. You can see the northern line has been already divided.

2022-11-17_9-39-40.png

View solution in original post

AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

The parcel fabric supports the 'System of Record' concept. We want the parcels in our system to represent the legal recorded information.

So if your legal description specifies the dimensions on the side lines to be split in certain dimensions or proportions, you should start the workflow by splitting the lines (Create record, Copy lines To active record, split lines, add a splitting line,  create seeds, build)

But if your legal description is an 'area description' that states how the area needs to be divided - then there is no reason to split the lines as it was never mentioned in the legal description.

Some parcel representations (e.g. Tax parcels for fiscal cadastre) require a dimension on every parcel edge. To meet this requirement you can easily use the Reconstruct Boundaries tool - it will add and remove boundary lines and make sure every parcel edge has a line with a dimension.
As for differences in behavior between file GDB and using feature services - there should be no difference. Please contact technical support and submit a case. They could determine if this is an actual bug or a user error.

Amir

AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

As for differences in behavior between file GDB and using feature services - there should be no difference. Please contact technical support and submit a case. They could determine if this is an actual bug or a user error.

12 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Would it be this tool? 

Split lines into COGO lines—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AlisonKelsey
Esri Contributor

Hi Dan,

I am familiar with this tool but I'm dividing a polygon.  Thank you anyway.

Alison

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, there is no equivalent for polygons and all the split polygon tools are for fc's.

I was hoping a polygon to polyline conversion might do it, but I don't work with cogo generally

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AlisonKelsey
Esri Contributor

Thank you Dan

0 Kudos
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

Hello @AlisonKelsey 

I have a couple questions:

1. Are you using the parcel fabric?

2. If so do you have an active record when running the divide tool?

3. If all yes to all those questions, could you post some screenshots of the divide workflow?

Thanks,

Jason Camerano

0 Kudos
AlisonKelsey
Esri Contributor

Thank you for your time Jason.  Amir has answered my question.

Alison

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@AlisonKelsey 

The Divide tool will not divide the lines.

In this example you can see that the lines are not divided:

2022-11-17_9-31-12.png

2022-11-17_9-30-44.png

If you want the lines to be divided you can use the Line Intersection tool after you perform the divide.

Make sure to check the box to recalculate COGO values, then click on the 2 intersecting lines and lastly on the intersecting point. You can see the northern line has been already divided.

2022-11-17_9-39-40.png

AlisonKelsey
Esri Contributor

Thank you Amir.

So what you are saying is that the division of a parcel is a two-step process that involves individually dividing the parcel and then dividing the boundary lines.

Alison

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

The parcel fabric supports the 'System of Record' concept. We want the parcels in our system to represent the legal recorded information.

So if your legal description specifies the dimensions on the side lines to be split in certain dimensions or proportions, you should start the workflow by splitting the lines (Create record, Copy lines To active record, split lines, add a splitting line,  create seeds, build)

But if your legal description is an 'area description' that states how the area needs to be divided - then there is no reason to split the lines as it was never mentioned in the legal description.

Some parcel representations (e.g. Tax parcels for fiscal cadastre) require a dimension on every parcel edge. To meet this requirement you can easily use the Reconstruct Boundaries tool - it will add and remove boundary lines and make sure every parcel edge has a line with a dimension.

Amir