Pause Auto-Commit During Traverse in Pro

10-01-2020 06:36 AM
Geographic_Mythos
New Contributor III
In ArcMap, the Traverse Grid and Parcel Fabric grids did not auto-commit data every time I entered a new row in the Traverse.

I would like the option to pause the auto-commit while entering the Traverse so that I could enter all the information before it draws.

There are several members of my team who are rather proficient in entering Metes-and-Bounds, and this longer pause during the auto-commit is adding significant time to their keying of those descriptions. Imagine writing a COGO distance, then waiting 5-10 seconds for the line to make the loop back and forth from the database/feature service. Then do this again for dozens of lines. If you were to type too quickly, you end up creating mistakes that you then have to go back and edit, again, and still wait for the commit. 

Barring that, have the Traverse draw data locally instead of sending the information back to the feature service, the same way that the Links and Anchors do during an Alignment so that the grid works faster.
15 Comments
AmirBar-Maor

Thanks Josh. We are working on this issue. We also noticed the delay between the sketch speed and the rate of committing the features. The solution can be the workaround you suggest or fixing the actual problem.

anna_garrett

bump, can this issue please be addressed? it's killing my productivity. 

AmirBar-Maor

This issue was reported in ArcGIS Pro 2.6 and got resolved in version 2.8 (or 2.7 not sure).

@anna_garrett  - which version are you using? Did you call technical support? Are you using feature services? do you have network issues?

anna_garrett

@AmirBar-Maor 

there's still a 10 second gap between pressing enter on a new line and it actually committing. 

I'm running 2.8.3, my data is in a file database on a server. there are no network issues. I don't have the spare time to open a ticket a the moment. 

KoryKramer

"file [geo?]database on a server"

See Announcing the ArcGIS Pro Performance Assessment Tool (PAT) 

To do a controlled test of how communication over the network affects responsiveness in Pro, you could download ProPAT and the data to the server location and run the tests.

Then place everything on your C: drive and run again.  Compare the resulting times.  The difference in execution times could be attributed to network latency.  For more information, see Application, project, and data location tips.

anna_garrett

@KoryKramer the problem is if I do everything locally, my data is not backed up. The server is backed up nightly. so i'm stuck between this lag and losing everything if someone in my office opens the wrong email. 

KoryKramer

I understand that there can be business reasons to store data in certain locations.  I was just offering a controlled test that could help to determine if the lag you are seeing may be the result of network latency (outside of our control) or an actual issue in the Traverse tool (within our control).

anna_garrett

@KoryKramer for sure, i'm downloading the tool to check it out. 

AmirBar-Maor

@anna_garrett 

A quick test to determine if this is a problem in the traverse or general editing issue is to digitize a sequence of a 2 point line (from is the Create features pane). Use the same layer that took long in the traverse pane.

The first edit you make in an edit session usually takes a bit longer, but 10 seconds is way too much time.

AmirBar-Maor

@Geographic_Mythos 

I am not going to mark this idea as 'In Product plan' as this is not the solution we are targeting. We are, however, working to separate the grid UI (data entry) from the commit process of new features. This would yield the result we are after all along: fast data entry while saving your edits all the time. If we were to switch to a sketch based data entry you would have lost all your entries if you had to 'step out' of the traverse