Web Maps Not Displaying in StoryMaps

06-24-2022 02:15 PM
jfischer91
New Contributor III

We're creating a Story Map with ArcGIS Story Maps, and everything was working fine until today it seems; now, whether viewing the Story Map in Chrome or Edge, certain web maps will not display. Or, they'll display after clearing your browser cache upon first load but then disappear after a while. The behavior is the same whether editing or previewing the Story Map. I'm guessing it's related to the update esri pushed a few days ago?  Is anyone else having this experience, and have you found a workaround?  I'm wondering if it's related to if the web map was authored in Classic Map Viewer or the new one, but I haven't tested it fully to know for sure.

Example screenshot of what I mean attached.

*** EDIT: If you're experiencing this too, please see the post linked below and contribute responses there.  I messed up and made one in two different Communities. ***  

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-storymaps-questions/web-maps-not-displaying-in-storymaps/m-p/11...

Tags (2)
9 Replies

I have the same issue! Maps not loading and not displaying in editing mode on my story map! Also after the update the images in my story map are displaying in poor quality until i open them in full view mode

0 Kudos
ChrisRoberts2
Occasional Contributor III

We have also just started seeing this issue

0 Kudos
jfischer91
New Contributor III

@OwenGeo, it sounds like there are at least a few others experiencing this issue.  I'll open a ticket with Esri Support as you suggested and post updates in my other thread at this link:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-storymaps-questions/web-maps-not-displaying-in-storymaps/m-p/11...

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

If anyone who is seeing these issues could please share a link to a public story where they are occuring, that would help our troubleshooting efforts. Otherwise, please contact Esri Support as mentioned above. Thx.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
EllenNodwell_IntegraShare
Occasional Contributor

Have been having this issue - also sporadic issues with feature layers not showing up in new Map Viewer.

In trying to troubleshoot, I have tried various combinations - browsers - to see if there are differences.

I have disabled browser extensions i.e., security - different ones, to test if this has an effect.

I reset browser settings (Edge) to default settings. 

Firefox seems to work better than Edge - have not yet tested Chrome or Safari, as those are not used as much by our customers.

Question:  Was AGOL tested and certified in every browser flavor before these latest changes/releases?  Can't find any of that on the Esri Site (testing certifications) for AGOL - if these exist, please send a link.

This is pretty serious, as we cannot produce anything for customers while we are having these issues until we know more. 

I'd be happy to sit online and show what I've found.  Screen shots will not show anything as you kind of have to be looking at it when it's happening (or not happening).

Also, since having these issues, some of my hosted content gives some error messages - permissions - like I don't have access when I'm the owner of the content (?) - anyone else experiencing this? 

This is content that I published under the user_id that is the administrator of the overall site and has the max permissions.

These worked awhile back - any way to get our AGOL audited for corruption issues or is that something we have to take up with support?  Would be great to be notified if there are errors in our AGOL instance so that we can troubleshoot.

Just noticed these issues beginning last Thursday/Friday time frame, but can't say they didn't start earlier, as we normally check our gallery about once a month for issues.  Some of the content is older and might require updating - since we see some of the old base-maps are now deprecated, stuff like that.

Any help on this will be appreciated.  In the meantime, we will not use Edge, since there appears to be something going on in that browser that isn't in Mozilla Firefox.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

PS - even the base map (Topographic) has issues with loading in Edge.

EllenNodwell_IntegraShare_0-1656351887706.png

Edge

EllenNodwell_IntegraShare_1-1656351932797.png

Mozilla Firefox

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I would recommend posting about issues with the Map Viewer in the ArcGIS Online board.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

OK, I'll go there and put a link to this thread. 🙂

0 Kudos
JACooper
New Contributor III

See this question's sister thread here for more information on this topic.

0 Kudos