Updated timeline for rollout of New Map Viewer ?

01-20-2022 06:53 AM
JohnSasso2
Occasional Contributor

So the state of things between Map Viewer Classic and the new Map Viewer is that the former still has features the latter does not yet provide, and vice versa.  In my work with ArcGIS Online, since the new Map Viewer is not fully compatible with Map Viewer Classic, it has proven too problematic and I've had to switch to using MVC in my work.  

Thus, does Esri have an updated timeline as to when the Map Viewer will be fully compatible with and supersede MVC?

I am hoping Esri is also working on making Web AppBuilder compatible with the new Map Viewer.  For example, if I create grouped layers in the new Map Viewer, they won't display as such in Web AppBuilder.

10 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

We are working on parity features in the new map viewer. What features are you missing that are required for your map authoring?

WAB is not being updated to the 4.x JSAPI. Are you able to use Experience Builder? If there are features missing in ExB I would post those in their forum.

0 Kudos
LearnThenShare
New Contributor III

Russell, Is there an updated parity feature matrix?  Please share the link if it exists.

You say WAB is not being updated to the 4.x JSAPI.  What does that mean is layman's terms? Is Esri building a convenient conversion tool or step-by-step method to convert all the serious and in depth work on WAB to this Experience Builder?  Please provide a link to this material.  

What is Experience builder platform, and why can't WAB simply be expanded instead of "discontinued"?

What about WAB Developers Edition?  Is that being updated?

Is there a parity matrix for WAB and Experience Builder?  

Is the "New" Web Map supposed to work only with Experience Builder?

Thank you!

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I don't have a public feature matrix available right now but can look into it.

WAB not being updated to the 4.x JSAPI.

The latest web apps coming from esri are built off of the latest JS API which is version 4.x. WAB and Map Viewer Classic are using 3.x. New features like group layers, effects and vector symbols are only supported in the 4.x version of the API and will not being coming to the 3.x version. This means these new map features will not be supported in these apps.

Experience Builder and WAB questions

- Experience Builder is a web app to build configurable apps with widgets similarly to WAB 

- WAB Dev updates - I would refer to that team and forum for their scheduling on updates but this will also be limited to 3.x builds and not the latest API.

- I dont know of the parity matrix between the two apps.

- Web Maps will work in both older and newer apps but some features will be dropped bc they are unsupported like the ones I mentioned about. The features that I did mention above will work/show up in Experience builder bc it is using the same version of the JS API.

JohnSasso2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Russell.  The major feature is the grouping of layers which I mentioned.  Also, I have a problem where, if I share out a map in ArcGIS Pro, then bring up the map in the new Map Viewer and make any simple change to it (or no changes as all) and do a Save, I get a message box saying simply there was an error, but no insight into what the error is.  I have to end up going back to MVC to be able to save the map, and "magically" that issue goes away.

I will try Experience Builder even though I built the web app with WAB and cannot be migrated over easily to EB

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the web map you see the error with and I can take a look what could be causing it.

and if there are any missing features in new MV feel free to post those.

0 Kudos
JohnSasso2
Occasional Contributor

Russell, this is an internal map but I'd be happy to do a Zoom session with you (as I have done with Esri support) to help troubleshoot.  I think you can shoot me a message through the Esri Community here

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You will have to file a support ticket for that. I can do a quick check if it can be shared to a group and invite russell_jsapi to it.

0 Kudos
JohnSasso2
Occasional Contributor

Russell, I removed a couple of sensitive layers from the map which I was concerned about sharing.  I can share this map (which still incurs the error in MV) with you, which means I share w/ Everyone/Public.  Let me know the best way to get the map to you for access.  Thanks

0 Kudos