Symbology Created in AGOL works in ArcGIS Pro but not when Saving the Web Map in Pro

Jump to solution
10-07-2022 06:32 AM
CarsonG
Occasional Contributor III

I was testing symbology to see what the complexity for lines are available now in the Map Viewer and Field Maps. 

As none of the symbols I created in Pro first, worked in AGOL or in Field Maps I started testing the symbols in AGOL. They can be seen in the image below. These symbols also work in Field Maps.

CarsonG_0-1665148602986.png

I opened the WebMap in Pro and the symbology as expected, stayed as is as shown below.

CarsonG_1-1665148876391.png

I tried changing some of the colors and then saving the Pro Map as a Web Map using the share Save As Web Map tool.

When I opened the new map in Viewer, the symbology had downgraded.

CarsonG_2-1665149071463.png

Why is this occurring?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The sharing of a web layer that creates a hosted feature layer item and storing the complex symbology that only newer clients like Map Viewer, Experience Builder or Dashboards would read. Map Viewer Classic and other 3.x clients will downgrade to a simple default symbol.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

When you are doing the Save in Pro you need to make sure you uncheck this box on the Save panel

RussellRoberts1_0-1665152054171.png

CarsonG

Thanks Russell, that did it. Think I figured that out before but forgot lol.

CarsonG

Hey @RussRoberts ,

Thought this was resolved.

I saved the symbology I created from AGOL inside Pro. Leaving the option of symbol compatibility unchecked worked for the other map that was created in AGOL.

When I tried using the saved symbology in Pro to Publish a Web Layer, it is downgrading the symbology. There is no option when publishing a Web Layer for symbol compatibility.

When I tried to share the layers as a web map it says the symbols will be downgraded. The symbol compatibility check box for Sharing As Web Map is unchecked. They are still downgrading.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is currently not supported for writing these symbols out at the item level. Map Viewer can save the symbols back to the item and with the Pro 3.1 release this will be supported. 

0 Kudos
CarsonG

Which/what will be supported in 3.1?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The sharing of a web layer that creates a hosted feature layer item and storing the complex symbology that only newer clients like Map Viewer, Experience Builder or Dashboards would read. Map Viewer Classic and other 3.x clients will downgrade to a simple default symbol.

0 Kudos
CarsonG

Will Field Maps be able to read the complex symbology as created in Pro 3.1? The complex symbology I created in AGOL in the first image on my original post was viewable in Fields Maps but only when it was created in AGOL. Will ArcPro 3.1, Map Viewer and Field Maps all be compatible with each other as far as the complex symbology is concerned? 

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The Pro and Map Viewer complex symbols should both work in Field Maps. Those symbols are just writing CIM ( the symbol spec) into the web map. We dont reference any of the web styles after the symbol has been applied so the symbols are safe if a web style was ever to be deleted the layer renderer would not break. 

0 Kudos
JoeBryant1

Just tested this, publishing from Pro 3.1.2. Short story, you still need to check the symbol compatibility downgrade box when publishing in order for the symbols I was using to show up in Field Maps. Field Maps does NOT appear to "support rendering ArcGIS Pro symbols". ArcGIS Pro symbols will, however, display in the new Map Viewer (but not in Map Viewer Classic). This can lead you to think they will work in Field Maps, but they do not.

0 Kudos