Setting or clipping map service to an area of interest

09-29-2022 01:07 AM
burwelbo
New Contributor

I am trying to use some Living Atlas services in some applications. I would like to be able to set an area of interest and if possible clip a certain area so that users can only view that AOI. Is there a way so that users cannot pan out of a certain extents?

Thanks

Bruce Burwell

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Corey_M
Esri Contributor

Hi @burwelbo 

You can set the AOI if the layers are saved in a web map, you can then access the settings of the web map and edit the extent to the desired location. 

extent.png

You have a few options to set the extent when in the edit/set extent options outlined here - Configure map—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

I have included a screenshot of the UI below with the options on the left panel: 

UI.pngThere is a way to set the limit for zoom-out extent for a hosted feature service by setting the visible scale range in ArcGIS Online. This allows you to determine and change the scale at which a layer in your map is displayed, but this will not prevent the user from being able to pan or zoom in and out on the Web map.

Thanks,

Corey

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Blend modes in Map Viewer and use a 4.x web app like Experience Builder, Dashboards or Instant Apps.

BruceBurwell1
New Contributor III

Both of these look like good solutions.

0 Kudos
BruceBurwell1
New Contributor III

Is it also possible to set up queries on Living Atlas data for just the data that falls within your defined area of interest?

0 Kudos